50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made both dive tours, St. Lucia and Dominica, through the cruise ship. St. Lucia was accepted - Dominica was not, so I assume it is the dive shop's rejection based only on age.
By the way, I'm 69. My last dives were off Aruba last April.
I thought I was the oldest diver on a boat off Grand Cayman several years ago, but one lady was 74 and was on the boat with her older sister. I didn't ask her age. On a Cayman live-aboard, one gentleman was also 74.
Lagonia, thanks for the tip; I will e-mail Blue Water to set it up. My dives in the Bay Islands were with Anthony's Key on Roatan.

Somewhere in the middle between 50 and 60 :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:
Got my NASDS advanced in 1989
No favorite LDS... I give me business to several near and far
I'm strickly a warm water diver....
Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Cayman Brac, Fiji Bequa and Taveuni, Palau and Yap
Banda Sea - Lucipera Islands Indonesia, Cook Islands, Turks and Caicos - Provo, Salt Cay, Grand Turk, Roatan, Utila, Belize, St. Croix, Bonaire and of course Key West just to name a few... :D:D:D

52,retired, full time RV'er
Patrick AFB, FL. (Cocoa Beach)
PADI Divemaster
While on the east coast I dive with Jupiter Dive Center

59+ On a recent dive trip it occured to me that I'm old and ancient as I noticed my regulator was older than my divebuddy
alabama
AOW
caribbean is convenient, affordable & usually warm
LDS is divesport- favorite is caribe inn bonaire

I'm usually grumpless

Age 61... started in 1972 with no qualifications, no wetsuit, no gauges or own gear didnt get a BCD (horse collar) until 1977. Bought first pressure gauge in 1975.
Ahhh, now that brings up a whole new subject we can keep this thread alive with... initial gear setup... what we dive now :)
Celebrated my 61st with a cave dive at Jackson Blue - double E7-120's & drysuit; BP & wing; 24 watt HID, etc...
I started with borrowed stuff; bought my first set of gear in '71:
Conshelf XII (which I still have and use)
Voit mask & fins - long since disintegrated
USD steel '72 w/ hardpack/harness (which is still passing hydro and is still my favorite single tank)
K valve ("J valves are for wimps; real men just come up when it gets too hard to breathe")
No weights ("weights are for girls & fat guys & wimps with wetsuits")
No wetsuit ("wetsuits are for wimps")
No guages ("who needs guages? we know how deep it is")
No BC ("What's a BC?")
No octopus ("octopus? what's that?")
No log book ("Logbook? yeah, I log my flights... you log dives???")
-- I didn't upgrade that rig until the Lovely Young Kat started in '90, when she came home from her first pool session talking about "BC" & "SPG" & "logbook" and other terms foreign to my diving... she said I would get a pressure guage if I was gonna dive with her!
Thus began the accumulation of enough scuba gear to buy a house!
Recently I dove that original rig in Vortex Springs (68°F) just for grins & giggles... lasted 19 minutes & decided my drysuit was a good alternative :)
I've also found that I now need weights in salt water, even without a wetsuit... too fat, I reckon.
Rick

54 yrs, certified open water 1982, I've logged a few dives, but don't log them anymore, dive along treasure coast of florida take boat out either Sebestian or Ft Pierce inlet and dive, took boat over to Abacos a couple times last summer and could get spoiled diving there easily. LDS for us is Hatt's, although big ticket items are Scubatoys or Leisure Pro.

Ahhh, now that brings up a whole new subject we can keep this thread alive with... initial gear setup... what we dive now :)
Celebrated my 61st with a cave dive at Jackson Blue - double E7-120's & drysuit; BP & wing; 24 watt HID, etc...
I started with borrowed stuff; bought my first set of gear in '71:
Conshelf XII (which I still have and use)
Voit mask & fins - long since disintegrated
USD steel '72 w/ hardpack/harness (which is still passing hydro and is still my favorite single tank)
K valve ("J valves are for wimps; real men just come up when it gets too hard to breathe")
No weights ("weights are for girls & fat guys & wimps with wetsuits")
No wetsuit ("wetsuits are for wimps")
No guages ("who needs guages? we know how deep it is")
No BC ("What's a BC?")
No octopus ("octopus? what's that?")
No log book ("Logbook? yeah, I log my flights... you log dives???")
-- I didn't upgrade that rig until the Lovely Young Kat started in '90, when she came home from her first pool session talking about "BC" & "SPG" & "logbook" and other terms foreign to my diving... she said I would get a pressure guage if I was gonna dive with her!
Thus began the accumulation of enough scuba gear to buy a house!
Recently I dove that original rig in Vortex Springs (68Ž°F) just for grins & giggles... lasted 19 minutes & decided my drysuit was a good alternative :)
I've also found that I now need weights in salt water, even without a wetsuit... too fat, I reckon.
Rick

Mine was 1967... conshelf.. but not sure what version.. US diver aluminum tank...j valve... snorkle vest...off Destin florida (before the break water was installed....no wetsuit.. A tube depth gauge...no pressure gauge... and the biggest dive knife I could find.. a Dacor...

As we kick off a new year, would it be a good idea to have folks check back in to let us know they're alive ?:wink:

Back
Top Bottom