50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

59 Today!

Hey y'all -

I'm not new to the "elderly" thread, just been monitoring w/o comment, but today's digest really piqued me.

The old gear discussion is great. Even though I wasn't diving back when, many of my friends here in NC have been, and they talk about that gear all the time. In fact, one of our local shops is having a vintage dive gear day on Jan 31 where we can try it as well as see it and be instructed in it - Gypsy Divers in Raleigh at 2:30 PM if anyone is in this area.

The comments on divers over 60 not fitting the operator's profile is, although one more unwelcome age discrimination practice, one that I can understand. I've seen first-hand how we out of condition "elderly" can get ourselves into some trouble, and it's kept me doing a regular routine of flexibility, strength, cardiovascular and pulmonary exercises. I encourage this for any of us who have lived beyond the "fit" threshold I suspect we all pass through at some point - mine was at age 55, and I'm now 65.

Finally, I'm off to Grand Cayman for 2 weeks in March, and can't wait to get back into the water - the past 2 years have not been good ones for my diving. Although wrecks (as in NC Graveyard of the Atlantic) are my favorite diving (caverns next), the walls at GC are worth a visit every couple years. My favorite operators are the 7 Mile Beach Resort Divers and Neptunes Divers. Both are uncrowded, safe and experienced.

May you dive often, excited as ever and SAFELY - mmaz

I've seen first-hand how we out of condition "elderly" can get ourselves into some trouble
This isn't age-dependent, or even particularly age-related. I've had guests diving with me who were in their 40's whom I really feared for, as they were so overweight and out-of-condition. On the other hand, one of the fittest people I've ever had on my boat was a 91 year old. Not only was he diving, but the previous few days he had been ocean-kayaking between two islands 15 miles apart.

I'm 62 (tomorrow, hopefully!) and I still think nothing of a 60 mile rough ground mountain bike ride, or a week's intensive skiing. But then I've always been fit and active, and once when I had a serious accident that produced major fractures and internal injuries and put me in hospital for almost 4 months, I was cycling within three days of being discharged and skiing a month later. It's all in your personal attitude.

Rick,

Your early years sound familiar. I started with a steel 72 as well. Dacor I think, Scubapro jet pack and mach 1 reg. I wish I still had that equipment. The only thing else we needed was a pair of cut off jeans. I remember going on trips to the keys when the wimps came with full wetsuits and more gauges than I use now. They always ended up hanging over the side while we used there air when ours ran out. I did have a J-valve but it stayed in the woen position most of the time.

It's a wonder we never got into trouble.

New to this forum and just getting back into diving after being away from it for 27 years. My first regulator bought in 1973 was an AMF Swimmaster MR-12, aluminum 80 tanks were the craze, my BC was a horse collar with dual co2 cartridges, wet suits were either 3/16" or 1/4", I don't recall them being measured in mm, and my personal favorite depth gage was a capillary. I like today's gear much more.

Tokyo, Japan
Cook Islands, Thailand, Palau, Cayman, Bahamas, Cozumel, and Hawaii
Padi, Advanced & Nitrox

I started with a Calypso Mark II or III and a steel 72 that my brother bought in the sixties. Still have the 72 and still dive an AT-Pac that's at least 30 years old; I've replaced the bladder once and the inflator hose twice.

I'm + 2, dive around 300 tanks/year (now, I slowed down) and have around 15,000 dives. I used to log them but quit after 11,000. I have been involved with diving my whole life and have used my time well, looking around the world underneath the water! Live in Kauai Hawaii and own Bubbles Below Scuba Charters. I am still actively leading charters, Captaining, cleaning, and exploring underwater! Age is not so much a factor as being in shape

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom