50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Splitpea58
Well like most of us 50+land locked divers, just point us to a mud puddle an we will find a way to dive it. I'm off to Bonaire at the end of the week so my mud puddle will be a BIG one for a whole week. I will break 250 dives on this trip.

51 in Denver. Diving for 25 years. Great time to dive. Worldwide diving and leaving for Puerto Vallarta in two weeks then Key West in August. Life is good.

Hi. It looks like this thread is still fairly active, so...

I'm 57 and didn't realize I was old until I read this thread. Huh. I started free diving at Los Coronados islands (off Tijuana, Mexico) when I was 11, spent most of my time at La Jolla Cove when I was 13-15 and then started going to Scotsman's Cove (between Newport and Laguna, SoCal) around 15 and still go there. I got certified in 1969 by NAUI and went through the coarse again with my wife in 1983 just so I'd be sure they taught her right. I have no idea how many hours I have underwater--thousands? I used to like to spearfish while free diving but gravitated towards photography later on. Still have my spearguns though. I've been to Catalina several times but never took a diving vacation, mainly cause I'm afraid to get on an airliner and can't stand rock and roll and I figure if the plane doesn't crash then they'll be playing rock and roll everywhere when I get there. I don't use a dive computer or BC.

Newbie!!!:D

I've been to Catalina several times but never took a diving vacation, mainly cause I'm afraid to get on an airliner and can't stand rock and roll and I figure if the plane doesn't crash then they'll be playing rock and roll everywhere when I get there. I don't use a dive computer or BC.

:rofl3: There's only rock-n-roll everywhere if you crash and go to Heaven.:D Otherwise you'll find that the hotel/resort you choose will be as quiet as it should be. As far as getting old - you will if you don't adopt new technology that makes your diving easier and more fun. Get a computer, get on a plane and get away to a great week-long (or two) vacation and enjoy the diving, the food and the rest. For me diving is about keeping up on your dives (regularly), meeting new people, seeing new places and diving new areas.

Last edited:
One man's hell is another man's heaven. It's not that I'm afraid of flying it's just that I don't like to put myself into situations where I am not in control of my destiny. Perhaps if I make it to the average male life expectancy (72 years?) then I'll get on an airliner figuring I have nothing to lose. If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

52..aow
favorite dives are in culebra p.r
have done hawaii,aruba and many eastcoast locations
homebase is delaware
diving for around 10 years

One man's hell is another man's heaven. It's not that I'm afraid of flying it's just that I don't like to put myself into situations where I am not in control of my destiny. Perhaps if I make it to the average male life expectancy (72 years?) then I'll get on an airliner figuring I have nothing to lose. If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

I guess you don't drive, either.
:D

Well, the way I figure it is that if I'm driving at least I have *some* control. But if a gravel truck goes through the center divider....

It *did* say "Grumpy Old Divers" up there, didn't it?

Yes, so I feel comfortable being *grumpy* here. :D

Gosh, I didn't even start diving until I was 54. I'm now 61, and am sure that there's no reason (except money) to slow down and there are sooooo many places that I want to dive. :) My first instructor is well over 80, and he's still leading dive trips to Indonesia!

Back
Top Bottom