50 Years Ago Tonight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for starting this thread:

Last summer I had three days of diving the Andrea Doria and it was amazing. It happened that my wife was at a conference in New York then and after getting back to Montauk I drove to New York and joined her at the conference dinner. The organizer of the conference came over and said "you dove the Doria? I was on the Docks with my father who had a tug boat, and we pulled the I'le de France out of her moorings to launch her on the rescue mission." Another person came over and he had been on a non-eventful voyage of the Doria as a kid and wanted to hear all about her. As soon as anyone mentioned that I had just come from diving the Doria, all of the shop talk stopped. The Andrea Doria has its own special magic.

I was looking to diving her in 2000, then my dive buddies and I changed directions...I would love to dive the Doria but I hear not much is left. Is this true? Is it a worthwhile dive for someone from the West Coast?
I would love to dive it, if feasable, in the next year.
Thanks,
K

It's a project to get out there from here to do the dive. You may or may not get to dive because of the unpredictable weather and currents, and you need to be properly prepared, trained and equiped...but if you do, you will find an enormous ocean liner with lots of structure still left. True the stacks are gone and the upper decks are sliding off, but it just opens up more of the ship to see. A and B decks are now open. The portholes are still in place (with glass in them). There are beds inside still bolted to the structure in the cabins. You will not run out of interesting things to see, nor will you feel like you missed the main event.

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom