$500 for OW course, I supply my own mask, fins, snorkel and booties. 5 nts/2.5 hrs ea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Is this a reasonable price? Reasonable number of hours? The class is 2.5 hrs one night a week for 4 weeks. PADI. Guy has a good reputation around the area.

Last edited:
E-learning or Classroom? Does that include the OW dives too? 2.5 hours x five nights just in the pool? Most shops here give a price for the classroom and pool but the OW dives are extra. Not sure how it is in your location.

Not a bargain but what are your options? What are the other 2 shops prices like?

If it includes review sessions for the elearning and the 4 OW checkout dives with equipment then that is about right. In NY, you pay for pool sessions +classroom and then OW checkout dives separately. Different shops have different ways of breaking up the pricing (some give discounts for gear, others charge rental gear, etc) but at the end of the day they are all in the $400-500 range

Here in the Keys, the local shops charge $500 or so all inclusive, gear, 2 boat trips, 2 days of pool sessions, mask fins, snorkel, books & classroom. I think elearning is a bit more.

I teach private classes of 1 or 2 at a time and charge $650 which includes eLearning, 2 pool sessions and 4-5 dives (@180 minutes of bottom time), some shore & 1 boat trip. The student supplies mask, fins, booties and any thermal protection desired. the pool sessions are usually 3-4 hours each and are dependent on the student. More pool sessions may be needed or desired, and I'll gladly provide them for $75 each.

Is this a reasonable price? Reasonable number of hours? The class is 2.5 hrs one night a week for 4 weeks. PADI. Guy has a good reputation around the area.

$500 for elearning & pool sessions sounds like a bargain to me... but that's probably just because I charge a lot more than that.

:D

Here's some market research I conducted on pool sessions for OW courses. Doesn't include pricing info, but you might find it to be of interest vis-a-vis course structure.

Getting New Divers Off On The Right Foot

Our current price (you supply mask, fins, snorkel, we supply all else including e learning)-- $419.99 Can. = $321.29 U.S. at Can.$= .765 cents US. This is the (2) weekend course. I believe the classroom version is about the same and is 3 weeks of 2 nights weekly for 3-4 hours each night (half classroom, half pool) plus the weekend of OW dives.

There will be a ton of variation from region to region...

For PADI OW my LDS currently charges CDN$399.99 (about US$310) for class time, pool training and OW checkout. Students supply mask, snorkel, fins, weight belt, gloves and boots. Gear rental (including weights, tanks, BCD, regs, hood, wetsuit, etc.) for the OW checkout weekend is included. Accommodation and quarry fees for the checkout weekend are not included. Course is about 4 hours weekly for five weeks (first half each week is class, second half is pool). Pool and Checkout dives only is CDN$329.99 (about US$254).

This was all in a small class environment. Private instruction runs CDN$575 with the same includes and excludes.

Last edited:
I believe the market will set the price. If he's not getting enough students he will lower his price to stimulate demand. If he has a good reputation, students feel that he's worth the price and pay. If your worried I would ask for references.

FWIW in my area it's $350 - $450 for classes (no e-learning) with pool time and checkout dives. Varies by certification agency and shop.

Back
Top Bottom