500 Lumen Light only $79.99

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got the baton, I mean light today. Heavier than I thought it would be BUT it's a very nice light for the price. Kicks the butt of my modified sl6. This will be tried out this weekend. The fit and finish looks nice, threads are smooth and the o-rings are tight. Good on/ off function. It takes about a tenth of a turn for off and on. It won't be turned on or off accidentally. I'm going to use it on a coil lanyard.

Sent from my DROID X2

I had a chance to try one out for a few days in a cavern course. I'll be getting one of these.

Just got mine and will be checking it out Saturday......

It looks great and hope it is just a good under water.

I received my DRIS500 today. Compared to Hollis LED5, DRIS is almost identical in shape, same head and barrel diameter, and surprisingly about 1/2" shorter overall. Brightness wise, it is brighter than Hollis but not blow away kind of difference. Hot spot is slight brighter and bigger. Overall spill is also brighter. I also like it better because it is more gradual than Hollis.

Now to the dislike/concern. 1) Already mention before, the head rotation is kind of tight, very easy to accidentlly loosen the head assembly. 2)The head assembly is sealed by two surface o-ring on each side of the lens. I wonder how well this seal can be in actual use. The first batch of Hollis LED5 leaks at the head assembly, I think it is due to to the same design. I wonder if DRIS has any knowledge about it.

The head rotation on mine was tight too. However, as is my practice, I removed and re-lubed the two orings and this problem was solved. So far I have 15 dives with the light and it is working well.

The head rotation on mine was tight too. However, as is my practice, I removed and re-lubed the two orings and this problem was solved. So far I have 15 dives with the light and it is working well.

I prefer tight to loose.

I prefer tight to loose.

I like snug, but not so much that I have to put it in a vice to turn it :wink: Just a smiggen of lube did wonders though. Still snug, but doesn't require major effort. I wonder if all of the lights had orings lubed from the factory. IT was a quick fix and this is a great light. (BTW saw your post about the retrofitting of the photon torpedo - love to hear responses to that one. I have one of them and upgrading the lumens would be nice).

this is a great light. (BTW saw your post about the retrofitting of the photon torpedo - love to hear responses to that one. I have one of them and upgrading the lumens would be nice).

I bought one too, which got me thinking..............I'll have the semi drop-in module in about a week and will post subjective results.

Dove it. Me likey! Don't like how tight it is but I will work on that.

Sent from my DROID X2

Well I have to say DRIS hit a home run with this one. I dove it Friday and Saturday night and it was outstanding. The guys I dove with are all going to get one. They could not believe the price and capabilities of the light. Mine is the modified version and they liked the feel also.

As noted by others the first thing I always do is tale something apart. Check it out and clean and add lube. Factory lube is what it is for the factory. I only trust what my pre-dive prep does. If it screws up then it is on me....
again thanks to DRIS

Back
Top Bottom