500psi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont think it would be a tube change. I think It would be a internal arm change. As scuba gear life suport. They all should be checked & calibrated at the factory. And if you had to worry about a screw up like that i would not put my name on it.

but why increase the risk? to use your speedo analogy, just because the gauges say they go up to 85mph, doesn't mean you should. With these 5000psi gauges, their "working pressure" is 4000psi, 80% of their max indicated. With a 4000 psi gauge that puts working pressure at 3200. This means you shouldn't use them on HP tanks that are filled to 3500psi, which are common recreational diving tanks.... This means that the whole European market wouldn't be able to use them because they would be incompatible with their 300bar tanks which are quite common over there.

Tbone i have never seen a 2.5" or 3" who sells them?

I have a couple of 3" gauges from the early 90's, not sure if they're still available, couldn't find them.
HOG and OMS sell 2.5" gauges, I'm sure someone else does, but they aren't that common since they're ungodly heavy. I use them on my doubles set so I don't have to unclip them from the shoulder D-rings, but the 2" is good enough for most people and the slimline 1.5" for sidemount/stages

First im not talking about the European market place and the few people in Europe that actually have that high of a pressure tank. Thy got to be expensive. As stated not talking about changing the bourbon tube inside the gauge I'm talking about changing an arm which would leave that gauge good for for a 3500 PSI tank.

the few people in Europe that actually have that high of a pressure tank.
"few"? In my part of Europe, 300 bar tanks are quite common.

Thy got to be expensive.
Not noticeably more than 232 bar (3350 psi) tanks. And 200 bar (2900 psi) tanks are basically only available used, in reality they're slowly being phased out and the only reason I see them is that tanks have a long life.

Make sure that you know what you're talking abut before you start talking.

I think that part of the story is that in the larger (industrial) world of analog gauges, the pressure ratings run in rough multiples of 2 usually following a 1-2-5-10-20-50-100-etc pattern. Take a look at Grainger or somewhere, you'll see that you can't get a gauge in any pressure rating you want, just certain ones. I've never seen a 4000 PSI gauge, scuba or otherwise.

I suspect that the place in Italy that makes most or all of the SPGs is drawing parts and expertise from the industry as a whole.

Ok i would bet that you take a look at all the tanks that are in use all over the world the 300bar tank is a small percent of them. I have traveled quite a bit to dive I admit I've never been to Europe butt the the highest PSI I've seen is 3500. Thats not saying that they are going to become more popular as time goes on. How do they hold up over time?

Last edited:
and just how hard is it to read the guage when it reads 3000 for most fills anyways, how is this hard on new divers???

A recent experience put me into thinking about this there was 2 couples that had some vision problems even with a corrective mask. Thought that it might be easer for them. Thats all

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom