5050 Resetting after Battery Change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrisc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My 5050 has work great for the past 3 years, now in the past month after changing the batteries out, the camera reset to factory defaults, i.e. date 01012002, time, all setting etc. I've tried it with freshly charged batteries, letting it sit over night in the camera, then in the 10 seconds it takes to switch them out, Bam reset again. Any clues or options?

chrisc:
My 5050 has work great for the past 3 years, now in the past month after changing the batteries out, the camera reset to factory defaults, i.e. date 01012002, time, all setting etc. I've tried it with freshly charged batteries, letting it sit over night in the camera, then in the 10 seconds it takes to switch them out, Bam reset again. Any clues or options?

There appears to be a problem with the capacitor in some 5050s that holds the settings when you change the batteries. This is from the MyOlympus thread in Yahoo Groups:

"Dennis,

It's possible that the capacitor that sustains the settings has lost its
charge while you changed batteries, so you must reset the camera when changing batteries. It's an expensive repair. We've read a number of complaints about the capacitor problem lately in the 5050. Capacitors sometimes reform, so in time the capacitor could restore itself.

Probably hundreds of 5050 owners on this list don't have this problem, so it may be restricted to a small number of cameras comparatively.

Bob"

Here is the thread link so you can read it:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MyOlympus/message/45580

Good luck!

I have the same problem w/ a 5050 also....Olympus told me that it was the onboard component....I thought it was a backup battery, but i suppose it could be a capacitor.

Olympus told me the whole mother(ofa)board needs to be changed inorder to fix this.

Fortunately, the "MySetting" seems to stay for some reason??? But almost all other settings seeem to reset to factory defaults.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom