5060/PT020 Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5615mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Getting ready to purchase 5060/PT020 setup. First U/W set of gear for me. Leaving in two weeks for Coz. Anything you guys might suggest for me? Should I buy extra O-rings? If so where do I get them.

Is DEPP the insurance of choice?

5615mike:
Getting ready to purchase 5060/PT020 setup. First U/W set of gear for me. Leaving in two weeks for Coz. Anything you guys might suggest for me? Should I buy extra O-rings? If so where do I get them.

Is DEPP the insurance of choice?

Suggestions? you should have given yourself more lead time! :D If you have no UW photo experience you definately need to practice with it before you take it down, so I'd get it as soon as possible.

Yes, I think you need an extra set of O-rings even if it IS brand new. You can usually purchase them from the same place you buy the camera. If not, try B&H Photo, among others.

DEPP is my choice. I've been using them for 7-8 years, had several claims and have always been extremely satisfied.

Dee:
Suggestions? you should have given yourself more lead time! :D If you have no UW photo experience you definately need to practice with it before you take it down, so I'd get it as soon as possible.

Yes, I think you need an extra set of O-rings even if it IS brand new. You can usually purchase them from the same place you buy the camera. If not, try B&H Photo, among others.

DEPP is my choice. I've been using them for 7-8 years, had several claims and have always been extremely satisfied.

Dee,

Did not plan on buying a camera so soon. Was hit head on two weeks ago by a lady who we are told had some medical emergency when she crossed the center line and hit me. My Sony DSC-S70 was in my center console and took a beating, "not still ticking" during the impact. I always wanted to buy a housing for it but Ikelite was about a grand and did not want to be stuck with housing for aged camera. Have been looking at the 5060 for about 6 months, prior to that the 5050. Have been forced into purchase of new camera if I want a camera to take to Coz in two weeks. Was going to rent a camera from Holly and Armando for several days like I have several times but figured that would buy my housing.........so, here I am.

Agreed about the get it ASAP. Will be a new camera, new brand, etc., so need some time to play. I won't be expecting too much from my pics but really would like to have it for the trip.

Do you apply new layer of greese to o-rings each time you open the camera?

Ahh...that explains things! Glad it wasn't you who got crunched! Lots of folks wait until the week before a big trip to buy one.

O-rings....I do my maintainence at night when I have time to concentrate on what I'm doing without being rushed. At that time, I remove both housing o-rings, clean the channels with a foam make-up sponge, inspect and clean both o-rings, grease lightly without stretching and re-install o-rings. When back on land after 2 boat dives, (never open the housing on a boat) I look at the o-rings to check for any debris that may have worked it's way in and attached to the outside of the o-rings. Having a spare set is a good idea..redundancy is good!

Dee:
Ahh...that explains things! Glad it wasn't you who got crunched! Lots of folks wait until the week before a big trip to buy one.

O-rings....I do my maintainence at night when I have time to concentrate on what I'm doing without being rushed. At that time, I remove both housing o-rings, clean the channels with a foam make-up sponge, inspect and clean both o-rings, grease lightly without stretching and re-install o-rings. When back on land after 2 boat dives, (never open the housing on a boat) I look at the o-rings to check for any debris that may have worked it's way in and attached to the outside of the o-rings. Having a spare set is a good idea..redundancy is good!

Dee,

Just ordered my 5060 and a PT020 housing. They did not have extra set of o-rings in stock. Will have to hunt those down elsewhere. Will wait on the strobe after I have had some time to play with the camera but will want to have it for my trip to FL cave country, WOO HOO, can't wait.

Anyway, anything you might want to suggest for a relitively new UW photag would be appreicated. Already learned to get close. Now, just need to learn how to get the most out of my camera. Others I have used do not have a manual white balance. Do you use yours in manual mode or auto? Thanks in advance.

5615mike:
Anyway, anything you might want to suggest for a relitively new UW photag would be appreicated. Already learned to get close. Now, just need to learn how to get the most out of my camera. Others I have used do not have a manual white balance. Do you use yours in manual mode or auto? Thanks in advance.

Stay away from Auto (P) mode, it usually uses very slow shutter speeds that just aren't good for U/W. I shoot alot in Aperture mode so I can control the depth of field but I'm slowly moving toward all manual. It's hard to leave your comfort zone!

I really used the WB on this last trip and will be using it alot in our local lake. To set the manual WB, use the last one on the menu...it shows a small triangle-large square-small triangle on the menu choice...NOT the custom. Using a white slate works but I got the best results by using a patch of well lit white sand whenever possible. The secret is to recalibrate the WB every 10-15ft of depth. I had to learn that the hard way, some of my photos have lavendar water! Practice this before you leave. And NEVER use the internal flash with manual WB. You'll be amazed at the photos you can take at 60-80 ft without a strobe.

Dee:
Stay away from Auto (P) mode, it usually uses very slow shutter speeds that just aren't good for U/W. I shoot alot in Aperture mode so I can control the depth of field but I'm slowly moving toward all manual. It's hard to leave your comfort zone!

Good Stuff! I see I've got a lot to learn............

Dee:

I really used the WB on this last trip and will be using it alot in our local lake. To set the manual WB, use the last one on the menu...it shows a small triangle-large square-small triangle on the menu choice...NOT the custom. Using a white slate works but I got the best results by using a patch of well lit white sand whenever possible. The secret is to recalibrate the WB every 10-15ft of depth. I had to learn that the hard way, some of my photos have lavendar water! Practice this before you leave. And NEVER use the internal flash with manual WB. You'll be amazed at the photos you can take at 60-80 ft without a strobe.

HUGELY WONDERFUL ADVICE!
:babycrawl since I'm just learning. Learned the white balance from a friend who shoots u/w video. He never uses lights and has wonderful product. I am supposed to get camera in mail on Tuesday. Looks like I will have a week to play before it counts. Anything else would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks again Dee

Just got a housing for my 5060 a few weeks ago... What else will I need (besides O-rings)?

Not dealing w/ a strobe just yet, though I did get the much maligned FL-20 and housing

Balance weight? Tray?

Best way to attatch it to you? Coil Lanyard & Clip or Retractor or wrist strap?

I'll be in Coz in 16 more days, I guess I better start practicing!

Thanx in advance for any info/suggestions

Moodiejeff:
Just got a housing for my 5060 a few weeks ago... What else will I need (besides O-rings)?

Not dealing w/ a strobe just yet, though I did get the much maligned FL-20 and housing

Balance weight? Tray?

Best way to attatch it to you? Coil Lanyard & Clip or Retractor or wrist strap?

I'll be in Coz in 16 more days, I guess I better start practicing!

Thanx in advance for any info/suggestions

Looks like we'll be learning our new rigs at the same time. Just ordered my back up set of o-rings. I will use a lanyard to secure to me.

Back
Top Bottom