5'10" 250lbs wet suit advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gratefulme

Reaction score
I am having a heck of a time trying to pick out a wetsuit. I am 5'10", 250lbs, 42" waist, and 46" waist and hips. Are there any other larger people out there that can recomend a good wetsuit, or will I have to get a custom one made. I was really only wanting to spend about $250 max. Thanks for the advise.

I'm also pretty close to your size at 5'9" and 240. I tried the entire Pinnacle line including the Extreme, Polar, Edge and Arctic size XXLS and none of them fit. In fact, I couldn't even squeeze into the Arctic. One of the guys at the shop that is in our size range at 5"10" and 245 told me that he couldn't fit into the Pinnacles either and suggested that I try the Bare line. He didn't have any in the XXLS size and would have had to order them for me to try on, so I stopped by another LDS that had Bare wetsuits advertised back in my home state of NH (no sales tax). Well, they didn't have any of the Bares either but suggested I try the Xcel Polar Tri-density.

So I tried on one of the rack in double xtra chunky (XXL only, not short) and it fit great. No arm material bunching, made the belly curve quite nicely, and even the hood fit. The legs were a bit long so we ordered the double xtra chunky short (XXLS) which should be closer to my leg length. The catalog lists the XXLS for someone 5"9" - 6' and 195 to 210. So you can see there is some stretch to the material (I probably compressed the 9mm part down to 7mm though without even getting in the water!:11: ) It was relatively easy to get in and out of even after baking in it as I walked around the store for a few minutes -- although I did stop by CVS on the way home and picked up a bottle of Suave conditioner and a squirt bottle. I think I need to be greased before trying the movements required for me to squeeze into this type of suit in a sun baked parking lot at 90 degrees. Also, it has o-ring wrist seals and ankle dams to help control water flow. It fit me, but like most the advice on the board -- ya gotta try em on. Price was about $460.

Good luck with your hunt!

Take a look at www.nrsweb.com I am one of their dealers and can get their stuff... They have some nice wetsuits in sizes that I think will work for you. They go l, XL, XXL, XXXl, then go to sizes called grizzly that are pretty slick. Sort of made for the rescue dive professional and his needs (and shape)

Brent

gratefulme:
I am having a heck of a time trying to pick out a wetsuit. I am 5'10", 250lbs, 42" waist, and 46" waist and hips. Are there any other larger people out there that can recomend a good wetsuit, or will I have to get a custom one made. I was really only wanting to spend about $250 max. Thanks for the advise.

One idea if you do not want to go full custom is to have an off the rack suit customized. They can open up a side seam and add a panel of ultra-stretch and/or shorten the legs/arms. It's not that expensive to have the suit re-worked and then it should fit well.

Here's what worked very well for me. I'm 6' at 240. I bought an Akona 2 piece/farmer john 3X and I barely get wet in the thing. I'm diving 6mm in water between 47 and 53 degrees.

Check 'em out!

AKNW6M.jpg

$175 with shipping (APPX)

take a look at Waterproof they are a tad more rare in the states, but very good wetsuits and seem to work well for some of us umm better padded divers...lol

You and I are about the same size. I have had great success with the Pinnacle wetsuits size XXLS. If yo are having trouble finding them in your area let me know and I can help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom