550 Paracord Harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captainhook426

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I've been looking how to weave 550 cord for the last hour or so (going to make dog collars, harnesses, and leashes). and was wondering if anyone has done a harness weave?

If you have have, did you do the whole harness? Belt section? I think with the overall thickness of 550 cord, it would be pretty difficult to make a full harness from scratch, but maybe no wrapping the nylon webbing with a weave. Especially if you could cast off and end where the shoulder straps and lap belt begin and end on the plate.

As a lot of us know 550 cord is amazing stuff and can be very useful in a lot of different situations. What about buoyancy? I would imagine the 550 cord would make you slightly more buoyant, it's worth a thought in preparation phase.

Just an idea. What do Ya'll think?

-Sutton

What do Ya'll think?

I think you are trying to reinvent the wheel. While 550 cord may be amazing on dry land, how does it hold up when submerged for a prolonged period. How thick is it and can you use standard harness hardware? Standard webbing used in scuba is $.79 to .99 a foot and you need 12-15 ft. It is cheap and reliable, how will the 550 cord make a harness better?

I'm not seeing the value in this diversion.

It may have some value in creating lanyards for lights, camera or other accessories but as mentioned the whole harness world is built around the form factor of standard webbing.

Pet

I wasn't thinking making a whole harness, it would end up too thick to move through a plate. But I can wrap, say the waist section of the harness, with it and have some great cordage. But I wasn't sure on it's ability to withstand the water. I might try it anyways when my order comes in and not hold any high hopes for it.

What do you mean by "great cordage"?

BTW, there was a thread on using this for making lanyards and the person said the cord gets stiff after being submerged.

So I've been looking how to weave 550 cord for the last hour or so (going to make dog collars, harnesses, and leashes). and was wondering if anyone has done a harness weave?

If you have have, did you do the whole harness? Belt section? I think with the overall thickness of 550 cord, it would be pretty difficult to make a full harness from scratch, but maybe no wrapping the nylon webbing with a weave. Especially if you could cast off and end where the shoulder straps and lap belt begin and end on the plate.

As a lot of us know 550 cord is amazing stuff and can be very useful in a lot of different situations. What about buoyancy? I would imagine the 550 cord would make you slightly more buoyant, it's worth a thought in preparation phase.

Just an idea. What do Ya'll think?

-Sutton

550 Paracord is designed for parachute deployment which means it will stretch when stressed. Not something you want your dive harness doing. In addition to the fact it stretches I think you will find that chafing of the cord against a back plate would mean you would have to weave a new harness fairly frequently.

You'll notice that the only place that paracord is used on a parachute is the cords running between the chute and the harness of the sky diver.

Honestly stick with 2" resin webbing which runs about $2 a foot and save yourself the grief.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom