6/4/05 Dive Report for Summersville Lake, WV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pairizarry

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I left Northern VA on Friday afternoon enroute to Summersville, WV to dive at Summersville Lake (elevation approx 1650 ft) with divers from the NC Wreck Divers. The next morning I drove out to Sarge’s Dive Shop at Summersville Lake for the AM charter with the NC Wreck Divers. We headed out on a pontoon boat to the Longpointe dive site on Summersville Lake. The lake was smooth and calm but the sky was overcast and with rain the night before, we knew vis was not going to be great. It was about 75 F and cloudy with a slight wind. Longpointe was described as having swimthroughs and a couple of small caverns. As soon as I got in the water, I could see the vis was around 10-15 ft max. My buddy and I went along with the DM to see has much as we could of the site. We saw a few of the swimthroughs and the caverns. At approx 22 ft there was a thermocline, which dropped the temp about 10 degrees. About 25 ft and below it was dark because of the overcast sky, so the visual enjoyment was not there. There were a few small fish, although we did see a 2 ft walleye zoom away when we came near it. Along the way we helped the DM, untangle some buoys. At the end of the dive I went down with DM to the bottom to untangle another buoy. Dive stats for Dive #1: Depth 57 ft, BT: 58 minutes, Temp: 60 F. I had on my 7mm full wetsuit, 6.5mm hood, 5mm boots, and 3mm gloves.

After about a 50 min SI, we were ready to go diving again. This time we were given a 30 min time limit, since the Capt needed to get back at a certain time. We saw a few more fish on this dive, a couple in the neighborhood of 2 ft. We surfaced and climbed aboard and I started unhooking my reg and tank when the Capt asked for someone to go follow the line and unhook the anchor since it was stuck. Since I hadn’t taken all my gear off, I volunteered. I unhooked the anchor and gave a couple of tugs on the line and the Capt pulled it up. Everyone cheered when I surfaced since I had gotten us loose. Dive stats for dive #2: Depth 49 ft, BT: 32 min, Temp: 63 F

Summersville Lake is definitely worth a first or second visit because you can see its potential as a great dive site. Plus there are many things to do in the area including horseback riding, whitewater rafting, rock climbing, etc. It is located near the New River Gorge Bridge and many national and state parks.

Pedro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom