6 days to spend on zanzibar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n9643750

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi there, I know these threads can be annoying, but I'm looking for advice on how to spend my time diving in that part of the world. I figure I can spend a day decompressing around stone town, but should I dive the Nungwi area for 5? Should I head over to Pemba? I dive with a camera and appreciate a good mix of macro and reef, but I'm not super picky as long as there are things to see. I don't need much for accommodation, just clean, secure, air con rooms. Also I am willing to pay for good dive ops/ guides. Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations!

Yes, another cast for Pemba.

I dove with Spanish Dancer in Nungwi, Zanzibar after doing Safari in Tanzania & with Swahili Divers in Pemba after hiking Kilimanjaro. Not much fish to speak of. They ain’t Raja Ampat, but any bad day diving beats a good day in the office.

Lots of people who have dived with Swahili in Pemba seem underwhelmed. I suspect the area they regularly dive is less fishy than further north, from Fundu-Njao up to Ras Khigomashi. It is very tide sensitive. Diving is very gloomy from slack to outgoing to slack. Then it’s crystal clear and fantastic on incoming to slack — so in practice only a few hours (1-2 dives) a day is good. Anyone experiencing bad viz on Pemba dives in the wrong time of tide, and perhaps, season too. Dec-April is good. Was a while ago I dived in Pemba but we where taken by One Earth Dive Center on Manta reef lodge to a few beautiful spots that definetely held up well against many other world class sites in the Indo-Pacific.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments! I'm having a hard time finding info about the fast ferry from Zanzibar to Pemba, does anyone here have experience with that?

I know it's probably a stretch, but Mafia Island offers incredible whale shark encounters!

It's the southern-most island in the archipelago though, which would be a bit of a trek if you are staying on the main island. But if you can get there, I would highly recommend it. AND the island itself is unbelievably beautiful.

People are either amazed or unsatisfied by Pemba, but diving in Zanzibar reaches far beyond Pemba - there are tons of great dive sites and marine encounters if you know where to look and are willing to stray away from the well swam paths. There are some great articles about the best dive sites and some of the lesser known ones floating around the internet of things (A complete guide to diving in Zanzibar).

And of course you could always extend your trip if it is an option!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom