65+ Grumpy Old Divers (or NOT Grumpy)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesBon92007

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California...too far from the ocean
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Wow, 50-years-old seems like a kid to me now. I just turned 65 and I'm wondering how many of us there are. Actually, I'm not all that grumpy except when they tell me I have to use all that newfangled stuff like SPGs, BCs, and depth gauges etc. One dive op even told me I had to have an octopus on my regulator. So far nobody told me I have to have a computer :)

In the past year (2017) I dove Cozumel, Isla Mujeres, Puerto Vallarta (two trips), and Catalina Island (California). My girlfriend just got certified in PV at the age of 66. I've been certified since 1969 and have been diving fairly steadily all this time. Before they let me become certified I did a lot of free-diving and spearfishing. We are planning on Hawai'i soon and of course will visit Cozumel at least once this year. Lots of other places sound great and we expect to visit Bonaire, US Virgin Islands, and probably Belize sometime in the near future. We'll probably try some lake diving in Minnesota this summer. And at our age we'd better not wait too long! :wink:

I'm as old as you but just beginning my diving odyssey. Scuba was on my bucket list, so I got certified as soon as I retired a couple of years ago. Now that we spend winters on Grand Cayman, I'm trying to rack up those dives before I can no longer remember my name. And neutral buoyancy is the best therapy for an old man's back.

You sound pretty active, and they say, old age is like being a shark - you have to keep moving or it's all over.

Hi,

I'm 70 and in October 2018 will have been scuba diving for 50 years. Other than the equipment getting heavier each year (all by itself), all is well.

Been averaging two dives every other week or so and have been taking various scuba courses to keep my interest up. Also been into underwater photography a bit lately but I'm really lousy at it.

Get off my lawn.

Damn crap the kids listen to today.

I'm as old as you but just beginning my diving odyssey. Scuba was on my bucket list, so I got certified as soon as I retired a couple of years ago. Now that we spend winters on Grand Cayman, I'm trying to rack up those dives before I can no longer remember my name. And neutral buoyancy is the best therapy for an old man's back.

You sound pretty active, and they say, old age is like being a shark - you have to keep moving or it's all over.

Ah yes, we discussed the pain relief of neutral buoyancy recently in another thread. :)

Hi,

I'm 70 and in October 2018 will have been scuba diving for 50 years. Other than the equipment getting heavier each year (all by itself), all is well.

Been averaging two dives every other week or so and have been taking various scuba courses to keep my interest up. Also been into underwater photography a bit lately but I'm really lousy at it.

My 50th certification anniversary (annivercerty?) will be August 1, 2019. I'm deciding where will be a cool place to go diving and celebrate. :)

I’m not technically qualified to be here but I sure as h*ll enjoy your posts! Makes me laugh!:rofl3:

I’ll be 70 in May, and my first dive on compressed air was in 1958. I’m an active dive instructor and work as DM a on a dive charter 200 days a year. What makes me grumpy is that you “old grumpy divers” will never buy any new gear. You all insist on continuing to use the same gear you bought in 1979. Same old mask with stiff seals, BC patched with aqua seal, and hoses patched with electrical tape. Weight integrated BC, won’t think of it despite fact ya can’t keep a weight belt on due to a waist long gone. Makes me Grumpy.
P.S. all in jest, but if the shoe fits.........

Back
Top Bottom