6m white shark caught near Yilan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

currier

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
They said:The prevalence of Great White sharks in the region's water was a good sign and indicated that marine ecology around the country had improved...Pretty impressive sized shark and they need a bigger boat, but I guess it goes without saying the marine ecology HAD improved...

WTF!

GO&DA)MMOT@#*FU!&^) people that kill everything they can, even though it is the first one they have seen in years, and all for a profit. :mad:

"I haven't caught sharks like that around here for years," said Cheng

Cheng said he would like to continue netting sharks as this prevented surfers from getting hurt during their stay at the popular tourist destination and that it was a good thing to do.

It was sold for NT$150,000 (US$5,112) at a local market.

Our surfers and divers deal with the fact that we have one of the highest concentrations of Great Whites in the world. Of course sharks are protected here, and we banned shark fin soup :D

Currier, I used to see great whites all the time around Hemei school reef ... honest :)

Guess it's a good sign to know a rare large shark was seen in the area - and just a great shame to see it dead, though what's new - as one only has to go down one of the port fish markets on N/E coast or see how many restaurants still serve up shark fin soup in Taipei to know there remains a massive ignorance of the poisons and health risks from eating shark meat (and fins), and of course ignorance of the need to get more protection to sharks there and elsewhere, before they are all gone.

PS: As far as I know there has never been a recorded shark attack in Taiwan - even if bull sharks have been seen around the South, in the popular snorkelling areas !

Here's a link to the incident ...
Large white shark caught off Yilan - CNA ENGLISH NEWS

And another to a vid on YouTube of the news report ...
捕獲大鯊魚 距海灘僅1公里-民視新聞 - YouTube

I was told that it was near Toucheng ... imagine a dive at The Wall with him in the area?

this is what will happen when only shark finning is banned, but not catching of the whole shark. You know where those fins will be heading to.

Lwang, I doubt the fisherman even dreamt of netting such a creature, but unfortunately it's going to happen from time to time - and though Taiwan did recently make it's fishery laws slightly tighter banning 'fins' alone to be landed, there still needs to be more efforts to in Taiwan to get "fin" right off the menu, as whilst there is demand - there are going to be suppliers. However, efforts are underway to increase awareness for example through Facebook "Fin Free Taipei" and other groups out there.

Currier - several locations, so be wary on those solo dives !!

this is what will happen when only shark finning is banned, but not catching of the whole shark. You know where those fins will be heading to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom