7 days in the Philippines this November - where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justwannadivenow3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Guys,

Looking to go back to the Philippines for a dive trip. Last trip I went to PG for a week in February - had an awesome time. The question is where should I go this time for 7 days (6 dive days)? I have not booked my flight (coming from NYC) so I can fly into MNL or CEB

I'm AOW + Nitrox and have around 100 dives in the last couple of years. I like big stuff & Macro - don;t really care for wrecks. I'd like to go somewhere that has a nice beach. if there is nightlife great. If not, thats fine too. Main purpose is a dive trip - we're talking 4 dives a day for 6 days.

1) is November a good time to dive?

2) Dauin, or Malapasca or PG again?

I would look into the dive safari with Savedra that goes from Sipalay to Moalboal or the reverse. It's 6 days. I think it's the best use of your time so that you don't lose time in between for transit, etc., but you get to see a good amount of places. Ignore the dates that they are running, they haven't updated the year on their website in a while.

With a week, I don't think you have the luxury of transiting to so many places, to be honest, especially with Malapascua in there.

I know a few people that have gone that really enjoyed it. You eat and dive on the boat and stay on land at night.

6 Day Dive Safaris Philippines: to Cebu, Apo Island, Alona Beach, Balicasag Island, Siquijor Island, Sipalay and Moalboal.

Safari Tour 1: Moalboal – Alona Beach – Siquijor – Apo – Sipalay
Day 1: Moalboal – Sunken Island – Excursion Kawasan Waterfalls – Liloan.
2-3 dives. Overnight in Liloan.
Day 2: Liloan – Sumilon Island – Balicasag Island. 3-4 dives. Overnight in Alona Beach, Bohol.
Day 3: Panglao Island, 3-4 dives or 1 dive plus optional land tour to the Chocolate Hills. Overnight in Alona Beach, Bohol.
Day 4: Balicasag Island, Siquijor Island, 3-4 dives. Overnight in Dauin, Negros
Day 5: Apo Island, 3-4 dives. Overnight in Dauin, Negros
Day 6: Dauin, Sipalay 2-3 dives. Check-in in Sipalay, Negros.

Safari Tour 2: Sipalay – Apo – Siquijor – Alona Beach – Moalboal
Day 1: Sipalay – Basay – Dauin, 2-3 dives, Overnight in Dauin, Negros
Day 2: Apo Island, 3-4 dives. Overnight in Dauin, Negros
Day 3: Siquijor Island, Balicasag Island, 3-4 dives. Overnight in Alona Beach.
Day 4: Panglao Island, 3-4 dives or 1 dive plus optional land tour to the Chocolate Hills. Overnight in Alona Beach, Bohol.
Day 5: Balicasag Island – Sumilon Island, 3-4 dives. Overnight in Liloan.
Day 6: Liloan, Moalboal, Excursion Kawasan Waterfalls. Check in Moalboal

Dive Safari Philippines | Savedra Dive Center

Our first trip to the Philippines was Dauin & Moalboal, but that was a 2 week trip. Getting between them pretty much killed a day and I wouldn't have wanted to take the time on a one week trip. Moving around is not quick, even if you're not flying you've probably got long rides and ferry trips. Just checking in or out of a resort can sometimes take a silly amount of time. You'll be lucky to get 5 dive days on a 7 day trip. I'd look into the safaris if you really want to hit multiple places on a short trip, or pick a place you want to spend a week. From Dauin you should be able to do dive boats to Apo and Siquijor islands as well.

Our first trip to the Philippines was Dauin & Moalboal, but that was a 2 week trip. Getting between them pretty much killed a day and I wouldn't have wanted to take the time on a one week trip. Moving around is not quick, even if you're not flying you've probably got long rides and ferry trips. Just checking in or out of a resort can sometimes take a silly amount of time. You'll be lucky to get 5 dive days on a 7 day trip. I'd look into the safaris if you really want to hit multiple places on a short trip, or pick a place you want to spend a week. From Dauin you should be able to do dive boats to Apo and Siquijor islands as well.

You're right. I can only do one place

Dauin, Malapasca or PG again?

Fly into Cebu city and dive Malapascua.
Nov is a good time but please bear in mind super typhoon Haiyan(Yolanda) nearly destroyed the whole island in 08th Nov 2013.
Malapascua can certainly promise you thresher shark and Mandarin fish is pretty neat.

For a short trip I'd say Anilao, great macro and some wide angle sites, easier to get to than PG. Not really nice beaches there but with 4 dives a day when are you going to hang out on the beach? For nightlife in Anilao it's about drinking with the other guests and the resort bar.
November can still be typhoon season, so be aware that possibility.
I wasn't super impressed with Malapascua, many of the sites are pretty lacking in coral habitat and fish life.

Dauin and the very close by Apo Island can keep you busy with the muck and corals. Fly into Cebu and fly onward to Dumaguete. You're pretty much sol in the Philippines for "big stuff" unless you are heading to Tubbataha or Apo Reef. Puerto Galera/Sabang nightlife isn't going to happen, if that's a high priority. You might consider Alona, also easy to get to from Cebu. It's not my cup of tea, but there is plenty of apres diving to be had, and beach.
Weather in November, as mentioned, can be dicey. That said, if you luck out you will have warm and not too hot days and pleasant nights.

Will weather problems prevent dive days? if so I think I;ll just have to pass and go during a better time. Not willing to go all the way there and not dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom