7 divers missing off Indonesian island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most boats in Indo don't even have the means to monitor Channel 16. It came down pretty heavy here in Bali yesterday, probably affecting surface visibility severely and the wind may well have swept them out.

With a body already discovered though, it sounds like something dramatic may have happened but...

They may have all surfaced away from the boat in the bad weather and just not been seen. I didn't think the group lost near Komodo island had a chance after not being found for a couple of days a few years ago, but they all made it - in spite of man eating dragons once they got ashore. :eek:
But then won't we have to trust that the local authorities have the means and the will to go and check out the signal?
Yeah, but better than without. I don't know the local abilities there, but if I planned a trip there - I'd find out, and register with them for the trip as well. I think some civilian ships also can track the signal.

My limited experience at this dive site leads me to agree that it is an advanced site where conditions can and do change during the dive. The channel can have big current including thermoclines. The tide can create a big down current from the site out into the channel. And there is the chance of a squall.

I only dived there twice, dives 2 and 3 of the day after a first dive at Manta Point. The group was a dive guide, a young, fit couple with ~20 dives and me. At that time I had slightly more than 175 dives, mostly in California. I had some experience with current dives (30-35) in Thailand. I was using rental gear except for computer and mask. I had no SMB, light or signaling device. I was in a 3mm shortie, water temp 75f. This was during a month long trip to Indonesia before my wife started diving, and we stayed in Padangbai for 5 days so I could get wet. It was July, so "winter" in Indonesia. Rough ride from Padangbai to Nusa Penida, but nice weather overall.

The guide briefed us about the current, said it could develop into a strong down flow during the dive. He also said after we dropped in ~60' he was going to swim out and down to look for mola-molas while we waited. He would return in a few minutes and we would either go back if he had sighted any, or we would make our way toward shore. We dropped, he found an area for us to wait and he took off. The vis was spectacular, but he still disappeared down into the blue.

I noted the time, and the three of us just hung around in the vicinity, plenty to see. After five minutes, I started thinking about the guide not coming back due to the current. Another five minutes and I signaled to the other two to begin slowly moving away from the channel toward shallower water against the increasingly strong current. More than 20 minutes into the dive, and half my air later, the guide came along, and shook his head, no mola-molas. We finished out the dive and did another in 40-45', near the shore, sheltered from the current.

Really no drama, but I always thought that that site was ripe for an accident under the wrong conditions. Tide, current, weather, inexperience, separation, no dive plan other than follow-the-guide, lack of safety equipment, any one of these factors can contribute, and if several come into play, it can mean tragedy.

It's being reported that the missing divers were all experienced and as previously noted upthread, the Komodo incident ended well. I am hoping this one does, too.

Last edited:
With a body already discovered though, it sounds like something dramatic may have happened but...

Read the next paragraph immediately below where you read that :wink:

This article in the Jakarta Globe indicates the boat may be still missing. Obviously this contridicts the other articles. Hopefully they had mechanical failure and everyone will be found shortly.

You have the Captain saying they dove twice and didn't return after the third dive in one report and the boat and divers missing in another report. Confusing.

You have the Captain saying they dove twice and didn't return after the third dive in one report and the boat and divers missing in another report. Confusing.

Welcome to Indonesia.

I am relaying this from Japanese news media (Mainichi Shimbun). All 7 divers are still missing. Search has been suspended and is scheduled to resume at 6AM. According to the Japanese Consulate and local police, all 7 missing are Japanese females, ages 20s to 50s.
The article mentions the site of the accident to be known for its drift diving and advanced diving techniques required. The group went to their third dive but were not seen surfacing.

link (in Japanese):
??????:???????????????????? - ????

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom