7 divers missing off Indonesian island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems to me that there are more and more problems with dodgy boat operators. These problems seem to range from revving engines while divers are about to enter/exit boats to fits of rage for no apparent reason. Worst of all, boat operators that do not follow any guidelines of monitoring where divers actually go after they make their entry.

In this case it is still unclear as to what has been the reason for divers being missing. I find it harrowing that none of the divers have yet been found. Could it be a severe case of downwell or simply that the current has taken the divers far away in severe weather conditions as declared by some individuals around those parts. In any case the companies should NOT opt for saving money when fishing for crews and vessels. It's not a perfect world, I know, but still we are all responsible for not only providing the safest possible options for particular level divers, but even more so to get them back safe and sound. It might feel too military for some divers, but I like to keep a close watch on what my students/divers do and that their gear and experience is up to par in accordance with their training level and the surrounding conditions. And I also do put those "certain types" in their place if they do not comply with my dive plan and procedures. We should be aware that many people jump in denying their high stress levels and lack of experience and many "professionals" are only busy running after their commissions in order to down that early afternoon beer.

I've been in and witnessed a few incidents of the same sort. Boat captains not being aware of what goes on, resulting in lengthy 45 minute to 2 hour waits way out in the open ocean already. I don't think it's enough that a group of divers relies only on the SMB of the instructor/DM, but EVERY diver should have an SMB. Unfortunately for most people it seems that safety is an issue only after something happens. I would imagine everyone to be able to invest a small amount of money on a proper tech buoy, a signal mirror and even more options, especially diving in places with very strong currents. 50 dives is not much if we think of all the things that can go wrong down there when **** hits the fan. So I would not call these divers "experienced". A holiday diver with 50 dives can mean that they have had 10 dives each year of their 5 year "career". I don't even consider myself the most experienced diver, not even close, although I do have a way of taking care of myself and my customers.

I hope that all of these divers are found well and alive. And furthermore I would like a more rigid attitude towards the operators out in open ocean. It's all fun and games until someone goes missing and a father/mother/sister/brother/son/daughter/friend doesn't come back in one piece. Very good that PADI changes standards as in the case of teaching the use and purpose of SMB's.

This is amazingly wonderful news. Lets hope they find the other two shortly.

There is a thread about this in the Accidents & Incidents section here

Latest news is five have been found alive, two still missing.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I merged the last two posts from Indonesia into this thread.

Must be one hell of a drift from Mangroves to Manta point in the south!

Glad they are all ok

Must be one hell of a drift from Mangroves to Manta point in the south! Glad they are all ok
To drift from Mangrove to Manta Point... A long way, but good luck they did not get washed away to Australia. Hope they find them all safe.

Great outcome given the circumstances, theres a lot of negative theorising and yes this is Indonesia where certain dive operators leave much to be desired but lets not deny the efforts of the search parties, and the fellow japanese volunteers and balinese authorities that helped with the rescue result.

Back
Top Bottom