72's Scuba Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...//... What is "too" much to spend on these tanks? ...//....

Ans: "Too much" is whatever you think is too much.

I have a bunch of 72's that cost me, and mostly others before me, a fortune. Nothing to do with the purchase price, they have been in hydro (and somewhat more recently VIP) since the 60's -add it all up.

VIP stickers and my NJ shellfish license are pretty much the same breed of cat, bureaucratic blackmail. Costs more to fight a no-win battle than just pay up and complain.

-Enjoy your tank, it will be around for a long, long while... :D

---------- Post Merged at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:24 PM ----------

...//... should I take the LDS offer to buy them for $20 each? ...//...

Uh, No.

After a fast gooogle search and a ask.com search, The USCG does seem to use the usdot reg's as their standard... So the tank must be in date... At-least that is what it looks like to me...:confused:

h) The representations, markings, and certifications subject to the prohibitions of paragraph (g) of this section include:(1) Specification identifications that include the letters “ICC”, “DOT”, “CTC”, “MC”, or “UN”;(2) Exemption, special permit, approval, and registration numbers that include the letters “DOT”, “EX”, “M”, or “R”; and(3) Test dates associated with specification, registration, approval, retest, exemption, or special permit markings indicating compliance with a test or retest requirement of the HMR, or an exemption, special permit, approval, or registration issued under the HMR or under subchapter A of this chapter.(i) No person may certify that a hazardous material is offered for transportation in commerce in accordance with the requirements of this subchapter unless the hazardous material is properly classed, described, packaged, marked, labeled, and in condition for shipment as required or authorized by applicable requirements of this subchapter or an exemption or special permit, approval, or registration issued under this subchapter or subchapter A of this chapter. Each person who offers a package containing a hazardous material for transportation in commerce in accordance with the requirements of this subchapter or an exemption or special permit, approval, or registration issued under this subchapter or subchapter A of this chapter, must assure that the package remains in condition for shipment until it is in the possession of the carrier.(j) No person may, by marking or otherwise, represent that a container or package for transportation of a hazardous material is safe, certified, or in compliance with the requirements of this chapter unless it meets the requirements of all applicable regulations issued under Federal hazardous material transportation law.Jim...

Notice the use of the term "in commerce" several times. A charter boat is engaged "in commerce" because it is receiving payment in exchange for transporting you and your equipment. A shop's pickup truck used to transport tanks from the shop to the boat is engaged "in commerce" A personal boat or truck doing the same is not engaged "in commerce".

I would guess we could try and play that game with a state trooper or a game warden or the USCG ... I know that " ANY " cylinder containing a compressed gas "MUST" be inspected/hydro tested and stamped as to the tester and date... I also know that the only one looking at a "VIP" sticker is the dive shop...

Jim....

I would guess we could try and play that game with a state trooper or a game warden or the USCG ... I know that " ANY " cylinder containing a compressed gas "MUST" be inspected/hydro tested and stamped as to the tester and date... I also know that the only one looking at a "VIP" sticker is the dive shop...

Jim....

The cylinder is in private use, not commerce. We have been through all of this before. We all know what we know.

N

Well then I'll leave it alone.... BUT, Anyone that would use a cylinder out of hydro or thinks hydro testing is a game should see the cylinders that have split well under going the test... It's just plan foolish to not hydro/inspect :wink: The "VIP" stickers ARE a JOKE..

Jim...

Jim....

I have personally discussed this subject with A DOT official. He danced around it and wouldn't admit out right that they have no authority on what a private citizens does but also wouldn't state that they definitely do have authority. It was more like well you know it's just not a good idea.

I have personally discussed this subject with A DOT official. He danced around it and wouldn't admit out right that they have no authority on what a private citizens does but also wouldn't state that they definitely do have authority. It was more like well you know it's just not a good idea.
Federal agencies are generally not opposed to exceeding their regulatory authority and are vehemently opposed to doing anything or saying anything that might limit their ability to do so, or make statements that indicate that they broke the law in the past if/when they did so. A high percentage of federal government bureaucrats are in fact attorneys - and usually not good attorneys.

A couple decades ago the DOT was pretty big on going into shops and writing violations for overfills, etc, even though they have no dog in the fight unless interstate commerce is involved. There argument at the time was that scuba tanks were portable and once filled could potentially be used in interstate commerce, thus all scuba tanks fell under their purview. It took a few years for them to back off from that extreme position.

A similar example was Bob Hoover losing his medical certificate based on the observations of a couple of FAA inspectors at an air show - who apparently saw grounding Bob Hoover as a way to make a name for themselves and further their careers. The FAA required Mr. Hoover to get a psychiatric exam, and then doctor shopped to find a psychiatrist on their staff who felt he should not be granted a medical certificate, they then sent him a letter ordering him to surrender his medical certificate, which he did. Unfortunately, the FAA exceeded their authority by doing that absent proper notice and a hearing. Worse, when he asked for it back, they did an emergency revocation with no grounds to do so. After several years and great expense he got it back, and the "Hoover Bill" was passed to give pilots appeal rights to emergency actions.

It still happens in federal agencies under both democratic and republican administrations.

----

Now, the reality is that I might overfill my personal scuba tanks in NC with my personal compressor and take them to FL - thus crossing state lines, but there is still no commerce involved and the DOT has no jurisdiction. Same with getting tanks overfilled in cave country and driving home with them to NC.

Well, back on subject, now that I have sewn all of the tags back into my mattresses just in case--- :wink:.

After getting my mile swim in this morning I played around with my Oxy 18 and a steel 72 in preparation for a trip. I was reminded of how much a steel 72 really is a great tank. My Oxy 18 Mach V has the fabric plate which is intended (per Oxycheq) for warm water, aluminum tank diving. Heavy steel tanks (negative steel tanks) tend to roll around, just not enough plate to stabilize them with this rig but with an aluminum 63, aluminum 80 or a steel 72, it is as close to no BC diving as one can get without actually diving no BC.

Another BC that just begs for a steel 72 is the AL Zuma. This BC also is intended strictly for warm water swimsuit and rash guard to shorty warm water diving. It has no hard plate to stabilize negative tanks but with an aluminum 63/80 or a steel 72, it is perfect (my wife has one, I almost, sorta, shhhhhh, want one, do not tell anybody though).

N

Back
Top Bottom