• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

7mil wetsuit for a fat guy

Discussion in 'Apparel' started by Chip Collins, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Manta Ray

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    For a big guy...Henderson is going to be the most generous off-the-rack sizing. They go up to 6X.

For what it’s worth, I have a Henderson 5mm full and it’s not difficult to get out of it.

2. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    It certainly decimated my wallet. I probably would never have heard of most of the dive gear I currently own if not for scubaboard.

Chip Collins likes this.
  3. Chip Collins

Chip Collins Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    I ended up talking to Terrapin for a 7mil. Once I get more dives in it sounds like a dry suit is the way to go.

4. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    You don’t have to get more dives in to get a drysuit. I got certified OW and drysuit at the same time. It’s quite common, depending on location.

Chip Collins likes this.
  5. Chip Collins

Chip Collins Angel Fish

I really do run hot. From sleeping with the windows open during the winter, never wearing a jacket, and spending all of my time growing up in the bay year round for hours at a time. Since I was fine in my 5mil, in 50 degree water, I want to see how the 7mil does for me. I usually research everything for a couple of months so I'm a well informed buyer. I'm finding the amount of people who make drysuits are many. I've just started researching and comparing them.

kelemvor likes this.
  6. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Manta Ray

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    You’ll enjoy the 7mm this winter. There’s a difference between being “fine” in a 5mm in cold water and being comfortable.

I’m in the same boat as you cold tolerance wise. I don’t mind down to about 50* in a 5mm, but I have gutted-out dives down to 44.6*.

The other issue is repetitive dives. You might think you’re “fine” in a 5mm at 50* on dive one, but by the time you’ve gotten to dives 2, 3, or 4...you start feeling the cold.

Chip Collins likes this.
  7. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Congrats! Hopefully it will keep you comfortable for years to come. Drysuits are great but just stupid expensive. I think it's the fourth most expensive thing I own. House, car, computer, drysuit. I'm pretty sure the only reason they're expensive is low volume of manufacture. They don't appear to be the least bit complicated.

Chip Collins likes this.
  8. W W Meixner

W W Meixner Rebreather Pilot

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Hey Chip...

Contact Oceaner in Vancouver...they can custom fabricate a suit for you that will fit properly...

Stay away from anything XXX...it may fit you around your trunk...but the rest of the suit will fit you and two small elephants...

You can probably look to spend something in the neighbourhood of 700+...

They have a special foil impregnated neoprene...I've ordered them for shop customers in the past...great suits...

Oceaner's turn-around for a custom suit is approx 3 weeks...

Best...

Warren

Chip Collins likes this.
  9. Kensei

Kensei Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Second this advice. They made a 7mm suit for me and you can get both ankle and wrist zippers put in. Top of the line Yamamoto neoprene. Fits extremely well. Price includes shipping. Custom suits include free repairs for life of suit. I've already had small repairs and a zipper replaced for free.

10. Chip Collins

Chip Collins Angel Fish

That was my plan until I contacted them and found out they are out of neoprene. I think their wetsuits look pretty sharp.