(8/19/2004) Think Someone is trying to scam my girlfriend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

delysid

New
Reaction score
My girlfriend is a waitress at a local sports bar. Recently someone by the name of Norman Scott gave her a card for a business called Global Explorations

http://hometown.aol.com/globeexplore2000/home.html

saying they needed scuba divers for their treasure hunting expeditions, and that they were heading to Austria soon. She said she wasn't qualified, and he said not to worry they do free training, and pay 22 dollars an hour. Now maybe I'm just paranoid but I have never heard of anything involving scuba training that was free. I told her she could not meet with this man unless I was present, and when told of this situation he became reluctant and shady. I feel this man is a scam artist. He also gave her a folder with a client list, a mission statement, and media credits, but none of these satisfy my suspicions whatsoever. has anyone heard of this man or any similar situations???

Yep, if that web page wasn't done by a pre-schooler I would have believed his story. Sounds to good to be true and we all know the outcome of those...........

Not sure what the scam is yet but even the web page is somewhat vague. Have you contacted a local police dept. or state's attorney general? Some of life's lessons do come to mind- There's no such thing as a free lunch & if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

I looked at this guy's web page and one thing jumped out at me immediately . . . the lakes in Austria.

Those lakes are DEEP ! ! ! !

We're talking some SERIOUS TECHNICAL DIVING here.

I'm not so sure that I would trust my life and livelyhood to someone who has such a cavellier attitude about diver recruitment.

totally understood. I have a tendency to not trust anyone, when something this questionable comes up, I just have to cover every possible ground

sketchy

If you look at the hit counter you'll notice that the page has been up since April 1'st. Take that for whatever it's worth.

interesting reading. found this more so .

Client List

Bahamian Government
Colombian Government
Cuban Government
Ecuadorian Government
German Government
Jamaican Government
Mexican Government
Russian Government

he says that the cuban government is one of his clients, but i thought that it was illegal for any us citizen to have any dealings with cuba. i know that it is illegal to travel there.

I asked some folks to see if any one ever heard of him. I'll let you know what comes back.

Any one whi is doing anything significant underwater will be known so we'll see. You might send a PM to Curt Bowen and point him to this thread.

Back
Top Bottom