8.2 Earthquake off of Indonesia! tsunami warning!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chillyinCanada

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
About 6 miles down, so considered shallow which will cause damage. Tremors were felt in parts of Singapore though we didn't feel it here in this part.

Aceh among the areas under watch, as well as parts of Australia's Cocos and Christmas islands.

Just revised to measurement of 7.8. Australia taken off Tsunami watch. So far Sumatra and Aceh still under watch.

The epicentre was 808km south-west of Padang, the US Geological Survey said.

Hi all - the earthquake was on a strike-slip fault(s) that marks the diffuse boundary between the Indo-Australian and Sunda plates. In April 2012, two similar earthquakes occurred in the Wharton Basin, offshore Sumatra. I doubt that such an earthquake source would generate a substantial tsunami. Western Sumatra (e.g., Padang, Mentawai islands...) will certainly experience some ground shaking. My condolences and best wishes to the residents in western Sumatra.

FYI - I did not feel ground shaking in Singapore.

Thanks for the detailed update, charlier. As I said, didn't feel it here. Maybe we live near each other? My sister says stable area here and they rarely if ever feel any tremors. Telok Blanga Drive

OK, never mind. :) tsunami warning listed for Sumatra Aceh

hope all is well....keep us informed.

So sorry!! Darn auto-confuse. That was supposed to say "lifted "

The tsunami warning has been lifted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom