8/7mm Semi-Dry vs Aqua-Lock?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FiremanIRFD

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Aqualock sounds like a gimmick. Pretty sure its glorified 'glideskin'
My scubapro semidry (6.5' NovaScotia) has two layers of neoprene so you can put gloves/boots in between. Aqualock is no revolutionary technology. The semidry you linkedhas the same type of deal as mine.
I do it with my boots, but my gloves just go over the top. I also wear a 1.5" Probe hooded vest which is fleece lined.
If water gets in, its only cold for 5 seconds!
I say go with the LDS, usually they know what they're talking about. Usually.

Looking to find out major differences between these two, other than the fleece lining of the aqua lock and the attached hood of the semi-dry. LDS worker highly recommended the Semi-Dry, but they do not seem to stock them regulary. Are the aqua lock boots and gloves easily used with the semi dry?

ThermopreneAqua Lock Men’s Back Zip Full Jumpsuit 800 Series

FiremanIRFD, thanks for asking about the two suits. Obviously they both have similarities as you have noted, but there are significant differences. The AquaLock wetsuit has way more stretch. The suit is on par if not warmer than the semi-dry and that is with a mm thinner (7 vs 8/7). Also, the AquaLock suit is back entry and the semi-dry is front. The kneepads on the AquaLock are also made out of a more durable material with the embossed duratex. AquaLock also has 100% liquid taped seams where the semi-dry does not. There are significant differences in both the materials used and the performance of the materials--especially when used as a complete system with the hood, gloves and boots. These accessories where designed to work best with the AquaLock wetsuit, but will work with other wetsuits like the Semi-Dry.

I own the the 3, 5 and 7mm Aqualock wetsuit along with the 5 and 7mm boots, 5/3mm hooded vest and 5mm gloves. Used the appropriate set in Cozumel, the cenotes of Mexico, Galapagos and the waters of St. Lawrence up here in Canada... They are not cheap but hands down the best wetsuits I've ever tried. Very warm and easy to get in and out of...

I have the semi dry. Only complaint is that the arms are made for folks with thin arms. If you lift weights, it will be a tight fit. Not sure about the Aqaulock fit. That said, I squeeze (arms) into mine and it has held up well. A drysuit zipper would have made it more waterproof, but still I'm diving mine in sub 50F water for up to an hour dive. Friends of mine got the Bare semidry. However they have had significant zipper and stitching problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom