800 yd Swim Course at Millbrook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rand

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need to do my 800 yd snorkel to finish up my DM course. The shop will be at Millbrook this weekend, however they don't normally do the 800 there and don't have an established course laid out for that site.

Does anyone have a course laid out?

From satellite pics, it looks like the platforms are about 500 feet apart from each other across the lake. If it comes down to it, we could just measure off another 100 feet and drop a buoy and just do 4 laps.

If someone has a better route in mind, I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks.

Please post it here if you find one - have same issue. In the past we have used Beach 1 around all the platforms at beach 2 and back, watching for a constant swim rate. baed on time it might be a bit short, but is still a pretty good test and better than doing pool laps turning with fins.
A bit easier as the surface water gets warm enough to use a shorty or no wet suit.

I ended up doing as I posted above. We entered at beach 1, swam out to the center platform there and measured off 100ft. back towards the beach and dropped a Pelican float there. I then did 2 complete circles around the float and the far center platform, starting and ending at the float.

I double checked the distance using the satellite image and scale on Google Maps. If anything, the total distance is 100-150 feet over 800 yards. My time was on par with other students in the class (they did their's at Rawlings--I was told that distance was checked with a rangefinder), so I think the distance is right.

Back
Top Bottom