8mm vs 9-18/7-14mm for m4/3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarjan

Contributor
Reaction score
Which would you choose and why? I'm trying to make a decision, and the 8mm sounds like the way I want to go, as I don't think I want the zoom capabilities BUT I am not sure. While I love the 10bar case, the zoom controls are just too difficult to use in a snap, so I just set and forget most of the time.

Underwater the close focusing capability of the 8mm also seems quite nice. How well would throwing a diopter infront of that lens work?

Then again with zoom not being adjustable that could be an issue when I do have time to setup for a shot. Not to mention if I want to use manual focus.

(gf2 with 10bar case)

I have the 8mm lens. It is very good.
It is very wide, sometimes too wide . You have to be very close to some subjects to make them large in the shot, i.e a shark 5 m away will appear small!!!!

From what i have read in other posts the 8mm is a better lens (better corner sharpness) compare to the other wide angle lens options. No need to add diopter as it is close focus anyway.Anyway diopter would prob not work with fisheye lens.

I also have teh 14mm & 14-42mm lens but they are not good enough for wide angle. Hopefully there will be a cheaper option in future for a decent zoom wide angle.

The 8mm is my choice - it is an awesome lens that is very sharp and can produce some dramatic photos. The 9-18mm will be good for sharks and large skittish fish that you may not be able to get very close too. - Scott

What video lights would work with the 8mm lens ?

The 8mm is my choice - it is an awesome lens that is very sharp and can produce some dramatic photos. The 9-18mm will be good for sharks and large skittish fish that you may not be able to get very close too. - Scott

What video lights would work with the 8mm lens ?

Nothing at the moment except maybe some expensive Keldan Luna (not tried). I'm waiting for the new fisheye 3500.

I had two SOLA 2000 which I gave back because was impossible to cover half of the field.

For video the 8mm it's a problem

I received my 8mm a few days ago, and got the 10bar dome port as well. Only to discover the 8mm dome port effectively blocks the optical flash "port" on the body. Jack recommended a 12mm extension and we are possibly going to try something else as well. Hopefully I'll have good news on the setup next week and will be able to post some pictures in a few weeks after the next dive.

Long-John - I didn't have a problem lighting up that focal length with 2 sola lights a few weeks ago in Anilao. Each light covered half of the photo. were you trying to get coverage in all 4 corners? -Scott

Long-John - I didn't have a problem lighting up that focal length with 2 sola lights a few weeks ago in Anilao. Each light covered half of the photo. were you trying to get coverage in all 4 corners? -Scott

Hi Scott,

Yes I was not able to cover the entire field. Orienting the lights was really a PITA. I think also the user Stargost had the same problem with the Sola 1200 which have the same FOV.

EDIT: I own the 8mm which has a FOV of 180°

Here a sample video:

[video=vimeo;39181036]https://vimeo.com/39181036[/video]

Last edited:
Hi Scott,
Yes I was not able to cover the entire field. Orienting the lights was really a PITA. I think also the user Stargost had the same problem with the Sola 1200 which have the same FOV.

Indeed, but we are both talking about video.
I'm using the 7-14 which should be easier, but even with the sola4k I found it difficult to ligth the entire field.

hi scott i'm thinking of getting a 10bar housing for my GF1 and eyeing to get an 8mm as well. would you know how the 10bar housing compares with maybe a recsea housing in terms of camera controls?

thanks!

jon

btw, what resort do you usually dive with at anilao?

sorry for the of topic reply but i'm in the same boat going mirrorless and 8mm :D

Back
Top Bottom