9/20/03 reef cleanup @ Seagate and Lynns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs

Reaction score
Hey, all - thought this looked like a get-together opportunity for a good cause. I'll be bringing the diveyak as a support for lifting and tanks... anybody ever used a hooka? I'll be speaking with each of the underwater cleanups but feel free to contact cordinators directly.

See the following url and then look for any of the underwater cleanup opportunities - there are several.

http://keeppbcbeautiful.org/fcc2003.htm

Here's one of the dives in case the url fails:

Underwater Cleanup at Seagate and Lynns Reefs (60 foot dives)
Divers meet at the Old Key Lime House
302 East Ocean Blvd.
Lantana, FL
Volunteer Coordinator: Elaine Blum (561) 493-3335 eblum@bellsouth.net

Saturday, September 20, 2003
8:00 a.m. - 12 noon
Keep Palm Beach County Beautiful (KPBCB) is making plans for the Annual Florida Coastal Cleanup to be held on Saturday, September 20, 2003 at numerous locations throughout Palm Beach County. The event is a project of The Ocean Conservancy, the world's largest organization focusing exclusively on the health of the marine environment.

KPBCB is especially proud of the unique educational aspect of this cleanup - the documentation of marine debris. The collection of this data by cleanup volunteers of all ages and the resulting report prepared by The Ocean Conservancy is used in the following ways:

-To raise awareness of the quantities and types of marine debris;
-To determine the various sources of marine debris;
-To evaluate the impact of marine debris on wildlife and habitat;
-To assist in the enforcement of regulations against illegal dumping;
-To influence industries that manufacture products that cause harm to the marine environment.

If you are interested in helping with this year's Florida Coastal Cleanup please pre-register by contacting us or one of the volunteer coordinators listed below. Please also read the Volunteer Information page.

I'm in, as is my daughter who has to earn some service hours as well.

I've checked as well, and as I mentioned here I couldn't find anything in Broward.

Could we organize our own? Clean up some tires maybe? :D

Marc

Any Ft Myers divers who read this and are interested in the Ft Myers coastal clean up day, please feel free to contact me.. I'll be in touch with the Keep Lee County Beautiful coordinator today to find out specifics.

I was going to post something about this but you beat me too it. I don't know my schedule for Sept 20th yet, but if nothing pops up I'll be clenaing a beach somewhere. Last year I did a beach clean up with GUE on Jensen Beach. I think this would make a good get together, even if we end up having 2 parties/clean-ups..west coast and east coast of Florida.

Make sure you post more details when you guys get them.

Dennis- thanks for the link. Though there's nothing on the Coastal Watch website for Broward, the Ocean Watch site has a whole bunch of clean up sites listed.

The one dive site they have is at East Commercial Boulevard at Anglin’s Fishing Pier.

Mike - looks like your apartment has just been designated headquarters. :D

Marc

FLL Diver once bubbled... SNIP...one dive site they have is at East Commercial Boulevard at Anglin’s Fishing Pier. Mike - looks like your apartment has just been designated headquarters. :D [/B]
Too cool... there are sites all over. I'll be doing the Commercial site, then.

Here's the reply from Keep Palm Beach Beautiful for those of you up in Palm Beach County... note that the first is a boat dive! For 2 & 3 you'll have to figure out the numbering.

===========================
Since diving ability and numbers are important in each of the three sites where underwater cleanups are planned, it is important that divers contact the site coordinator listed to make sure they are needed etc. The three sites where underwater cleanups will take place are and comments:

1 - Limited space on dive boat - contact Elaine Blum to check on availability.
Underwater Cleanup at Seagate and Lynns Reefs (60 foot dives)
Divers meet at the Old Key Lime House
302 East Ocean Blvd.
Lantana, FL
Volunteer Coordinator: Elaine Blum (561) 493-3335
Sponsored by Palm Beach Hammerheads, Ameridive, and Starfish Enterprises

2 - Fire Rescue and Police Dive Teams - contact Cassandra Weith to check whether certain diving certification is required. I believe diving will be done at high tide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom