90 degrees swivel stuck, how to fix? Pictures inside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, just for the sake of nomenclature: That's just a standard reg hose. They all turn about like that. There's not really a "service" that I'm aware of, but that O-ring does need replacing every so often. I think it's a -010 sized o-ring, and my preference is 90-duro Viton on everything I do. A dab-o-grease (I use oxylube exclusively, and just enough to coat the o-ring to "shiny") is all you'll need to get things going again.

Thank u for detailed info, I'll inspect the hose/o-ring.

The captured nut on the hose is probably were you feel drag yes it rotates on the o-ring but the nut is captured in a groove and that is metal to metal contact. The hose will spin fairly easy with no pressure on it but once you charge it with air pressure it gets harder to turn because two metal pieces are being forced together. You can build up some crud in that groove if it doesn't get clean well try soaking the end of the hose to clean it out. When I rinse my reg I will rotate any rotating part while I'm flushing it to get out any salt build up as I mostly dive in saltwater.

The problem isn't the oring. The oring inside the LP hose is to help seal, not swivel. The swivel capability is from the nut itself. A lubed oring does help, but a dry oring in of itself will not cause it to bind completely either. Binding completely would be a indicator that the hose nut is bad.

The LP hose nut is probably wearing and has worn down and widened it's channel groove, so now you can over tighten the nut, settling it off the groove and causing it to bind because of metal on metal friction. The fix is to replace the hose.

Binding completely would be a indicator that the hose nut is bad.

That is what I'm afraid of. Thank you too. I'll check all and write results in this thread.

Just for the info. I finally put my hands on that stucked swivel. The hose, nut and o-ring looks pretty good, but inner swivel part close to the hose looks a little corroded, so it stucks without grease, cause allowance is very small. I did a little honing, applied some grease, so now it's rotate and fully operational. But I'm going to change a swivel, just in case. Thank you guys for your ideas and help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom