A career as a dive instructor - realistic or idealistic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirenita

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am just starting out in my journey to train as an instructor, which involves me selling up everything in the UK, and moving out to Thailand with a one way ticket in just a couple of weeks to study at an IDC. I have this sort of wildly optimistic, blind faith in the idea that if I work hard I will succeed and be happy, (and hopefully earn a living!) but after reading these forums, I am a little worried that I am being too idealistic? Do I need to take off my rose tinted mask?

Many people here seem to be saying that it's just not possible to earn a living teaching diving, and I was hoping to hear from any people who have success stories, to prove it is possible? (I am willing to work seasonally in different places around the world, at least while I'm still young, footloose and fancy free!)

While I don't expect to be a wealthy playgirl, I have been entertaining this romantic notion of leaving the materialistic world behind, living by the ocean, and sticking a white picket fence into the sand around my front door :)

Unfortunately more common is the experience of someone I met on Maui. She was a PADI Course Director (certified for both instructor students and also minting new instructors). In addition to teaching OW, DM, OW instructor classes she also spend many hours as a saleperson in the local dive shop. She made more money each week working two evenings as a waitress than she did total as instructor and dive shop salesperson.

She eventually moved back to the mainland because she couldn't survive on Maui with her total pay from 3 jobs.

Ouch, that must have been heartbreaking for her....and a course director too! Ok, so I have to start thinking more laterally about additional ways to make an income. I have already discounted the idea of petty crime, and selling myself on a street corner isn't an option... (the market for that is already at saturation point in the Thai city that I will be staying in!).

Hmmm... Well I have 7 months to come up with a plan!

Sirenita:
Ouch, that must have been heartbreaking for her....and a course director too! Ok, so I have to start thinking more laterally about additional ways to make an income. I have already discounted the idea of petty crime, and selling myself on a street corner isn't an option... (the market for that is already at saturation point in the Thai city that I will be staying in!).

Hmmm... Well I have 7 months to come up with a plan!

Physical Education Teacher in the US with scuba instuctor as a side/summer job?

just shooting out ideas!

I think it depends on how you want to live. For me I would rather have fun and live in a shack, then make a ton of money and never have time for the fun stuff. If you can live without, you are okay. I had to make these decisions to live in Hawaii, be a Ski Patroller and surf a lot. I am happy, and I have no stress.

Sirenita:
... I have been entertaining this romantic notion of leaving the materialistic world behind, living by the ocean, and sticking a white picket fence into the sand around my front door :)
Sounds like a worthy target at which to aim. If down the road you decide to change direction, you will at least have gotten a lot of good diving on the journey.

I am not a dive professional, but I (with a wife and 2 children) did make a similar commitment at one point in my life to pursue a career as a pilot. It was a long road before I got a decent job. But my wife was in on every decision and the journey was well worth it in the long run.

There is no way to put a price on enjoying what you do every day. :)

Willie

I've heard great success stories from people who were instructors/divemasters in Thailand. The divemasters are going out on trips daily, mostly taking tourists who are tipping them American or other currency (which goes a long way in Thailand). Being that it is extremely cheap to live well over there (with American currency), they did very well. I just might suggest doing the divemaster thing as your annual insurance costs are cheaper, and you will doing more diving than teaching.

Lol @ Humu, thanks for the suggestion but I was so bad at physical education that I used to even fall over the skipping rope on sports day at school, and if somebody kicked a ball at me too hard, I ran the other direction :) but please keep the suggestions coming :)

tjc, thats an interesting point you make regarding the fact a dive master does more diving and has less insurance, and certainly one I will remember when the time comes! Thanks!

Does anyone know if Mexico is a good place to work? I speak intermediate Spanish, and I was hoping this may give me a small advantage, and the opportunity to become fluent.

As long as the area is heavy in dive tourism, I don't see why not. Being bi-lingual will give you an advantage (as you can communicate with most tourists and natives). You would probably make a lot more money in Thailand (and live well off). But that's the beauty of your dream. You don't have to limit yourself to one place. People who pursue that usually jump around the globe and find employment many places, because most other people doing it are using it to travel and dive, so people come and go, leaving it fairly easy to find a job.

Rather than Thailand, you might consider somewhere like the BVI's so that you can get a regular job if the dive instructing doesn't pan out. That way you could still make a decent living while getting in lots of dives in your free time.

you may also want to scroll on down to the asia forums to ask about their local job market.

just my two cents
-G

Back
Top Bottom