A change of heart, Scubapro D420

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lexvil

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just went on a short shallow dive in my pool, my first dive with the D420 was not awe inspiring to say the least, I found the lever was very high which seemed to need more poppet spring pressure to stop freeflow. I adjusted it and sent it to James79 so he could fashion and adjusted for it and I got it back just in time for the lockdown. I had wondered if it would perform better in the water than it seems to dry, as rsingler suggested it should, I was skeptical but willing to give it another shot, except for the not being able to thing. Today I wanted to make some underway adjustments to my pool sweep and decided to test the 420 and my new dry gloves so let me say, the gloves were great and the D420 had me shifting toward being a believer.

I'm sure it's a nice regulator, but the old D series regs are such great performers that I can't imagine any significant improvement. And I have mostly D300s, which are the earliest ones.

What's more, on long cave dives, I end up using my 109s quite a bit over my D300s even though they are not nearly as effortless breathing, because the metal case and lessened venturi effect keeps the air nice and moist. That means a lot on a 2-3 hour dive.

The easiest breathing, most effortless 2nd stage I have ever used is the pilot, which predates all of the D series. Even when the pilot valve is replaced with a center balanced valve so that's basically a D series reg in a metal case, this thing is as close to breathing on land as I've ever experienced. Unfortunately, it's a finicky bastard to service, and pretty leaky upside down. It also can stick open with a seriously strong free flow if that diaphragm gets inverted. So I do not use it in technical diving.

I guess the point is, each of these regulators has it's own strengths and weaknesses, and the scuba industry is extremely unlikely to come out with a new reg that is better than the old stuff in all ways. As much as I enjoy working on regs and talking about them, trying out different things, if I had to give up all of them and just dive the rest of my days with a pair of MK5s and a couple 109s, fine.

There, cranky rant over.

So... outcome is D420>S600?

So... outcome is D420>S600?
My previous impression was that the D420 was no good at all, based on the first out of the box impression because it was way out of adjustment, after bringing it closer to the correct adjustment it does appear to be as good as an S600 but truly unsure right now because this was based on a short shallow dive in my pool. For me it’s mostly competing against the G260 for the workhorse role.

I'm sure it's a nice regulator, but the old D series regs are such great performers that I can't imagine any significant improvement. And I have mostly D300s, which are the earliest ones.

What's more, on long cave dives, I end up using my 109s quite a bit over my D300s even though they are not nearly as effortless breathing, because the metal case and lessened venturi effect keeps the air nice and moist. That means a lot on a 2-3 hour dive.

The easiest breathing, most effortless 2nd stage I have ever used is the pilot, which predates all of the D series. Even when the pilot valve is replaced with a center balanced valve so that's basically a D series reg in a metal case, this thing is as close to breathing on land as I've ever experienced. Unfortunately, it's a finicky bastard to service, and pretty leaky upside down. It also can stick open with a seriously strong free flow if that diaphragm gets inverted. So I do not use it in technical diving.

I guess the point is, each of these regulators has it's own strengths and weaknesses, and the scuba industry is extremely unlikely to come out with a new reg that is better than the old stuff in all ways. As much as I enjoy working on regs and talking about them, trying out different things, if I had to give up all of them and just dive the rest of my days with a pair of MK5s and a couple 109s, fine.

There, cranky rant over.
While I no longer have any MK 5/109’s I agree that that could have been the end of regulator design and we would all be fine. I prefer the modern lighter weight stuff though.

Lockdown time killer.
Went on a 20 minute scooter dive
DSCI3978.jpeg
DSCI3983.jpeg
DSCI3984.jpeg

ok so the scooter was my pool sweep and it was 8 ft but I got to test two things; D420 and the Ammonia treatment on a SP frameless mask.
findings;
1. D420 is great, I actually de-tuned it several times and its stabile and cracks with no effort and breathes maybe even easier than my hot tuned G260, I am impressed with the performance in water and can't wait to actually dive it in the ocean, it is going to be a favorite i think.

2. Ammonis in the frameless, not so good, I'm going to do this one again.

Ego involved, I'm just hoping for vindication from Rob re my D420. It was the most trouble I've ever had with any reg. It melted my brain.

I hope Rob finds some issue with it, I also hope I don’t discover any with mine if I ever get the chance to dive again.

I hope Rob finds some issue with it, I also hope I don’t discover any with mine if I ever get the chance to dive again.

If my guess of inconsistent materials/QC with seat and/or plastic orifice is/are the culprit, you may have no issue until you try to service it. All, I'm sure, will be revealed after Robs dissection and inspection.

I emailed SP requesting a wider exhaust for the D420, I don't expect a reply, just trying to plant the seed, Rob discovering what was up with mine, finding a job and getting one again one day.

Back
Top Bottom