A common G11 problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RikRaeder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a problem with my wife's 2 year old G11. My only option so far is to send it to Canon for $150 plus shipping who will repair it with used parts or replace it with a refurbished camera, not neccessarily the same type, fixed with used parts. Oh, and they might charge me more than the $150 estimate (although they have no idea what the problem is with the camera). For some reason, I have no faith in Canon USA service. I hope someone can help.

The Problem:

The zoom doesn't work, nor do the buttons on back. The wheel seems to be ok, but we can't get any action off of the buttons (macro, flash, menu, etc.) In some modes it will zoom in, but not back out. We had a similar issue once before but after playing with it a bit, it corrected itself. It won't self correct this time, though. It hasn't been flooded or dropped and I'm at a loss as to why this should happen. Any ideas (besides quit buying Canon products?) I love my PS 750 and the G11 was prety cool when it was working.

No problems with my G11. I did have the service center fix my 580EX II a year or two ago (did a dive off the table at a wedding), did a good job and fast turnaround time. No problems since. wasn't cheap, but they fixed it fast.

Thanks folks. It's looking like I'll have to send it in. Hate to do it, but...

RR--Is your lack of faith with Canon Factory Service based on experience or are you just concerned about having to repair your camera? First, I haven't heard of this problem with other G-11s so it's not like a design flaw, stuff happens eh? Second, almost any (surviving) camera repair facility has to have minimum charges to open up the box. Techs aren't cheap (well, some are but...), nor is test equipment, parts etc. You would be hard pressed to replace your G-11 for any where near the price of a repair. (G-12s are currently running $479-499.)

Canon has the sort of bolierplate language you encountered on their website based on their experience with repairs. Everyone is told what you have been told because hey, when you open things up and find someone dunked the camera in Dr. Pepper or something (but didn't mention it or didn't know because someone else did it), it is going to jump the repair price well above "standard".

My experience with Canon Factory Repair (and you are getting this estimate from them, not a "factory authorized" place, yes?) is exemplary. Had a drowned G-10, got it replaced with a refurb G-11 and the price, time and communication effort on their part was way above and beyond (THANKS Tom!!). It sucks to have a camera "go wrong" but you are fortunate on two fronts: it's a Canon (and I'm an old Nikon guy since 1966) and you can deal with Canon USA Factory Service. I wouldn't feel at all hesitant sending them a repair, based on my experience with them. I also wouldn't feel bad about refurb. With the 90 day warranty they give on them, the factory isn't going to send out marginal cameras. Good luck, let us know how it goes. // ww

Back
Top Bottom