A comparison between the risks of freediving and scubadiving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, I think we are in pretty close aggrement on that. A solo diver who has a SWB is in a very serious situation and it
may well be the last mistake they ever make.

It is important that people are not mislead and into thinking that because freedive gear is much less complex than scuba, that they should pursue the activity without training and supervision.

Here I agree with you 100%

There is hope after all!

Here's a video on the subject of Shallow Water Blackout and Samba. It's quite imformative and should enlighten anyone wondering about the risks of freediving. Forward to 22:22 to see what he says about the chances of someone having a shallow water black out and diving without an attentive buddy to assist you.

Here's a video on the subject of Shallow Water Blackout and Samba. It's quite imformative and should enlighten anyone wondering about the risks of freediving. Forward to 22:22 to see what he says about the chances of someone having a shallow water black out and diving without an attentive buddy to assist you.

You SWBO, you are f'ed!

Boats! Majority of my "close calls" free diving have come from inattentive boaters almost running me over. But, 99% of my free diving is from the beach and swimming off shore any where from 100 to 900 yards. It's like they aim for my torpedo float!

On the other hand, with scuba, you have a very limited time on the surface and if done properly, with a good boat and capt, you can reduce your risk to almost "0".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom