A Comparison-contrast Of Available Rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some pretty good advice, PeCe, although my view on internet advice isn't quite as dim as yours.
Anyone spending some time online will be able to cut through most of the smoke screens and bs
and sort the good advice from the bad.

Sure, there is some excellent advice to be found on the internet, but it will be difficult for a rebreather newby to separate the true golden tips from the BS.

The advice given here is great advice for people with lots of time and money to travel all over the world in order to get 10-20 hours on many different models of rebreathers to see which is best suited for them. For those of us who live in a world where money is of concern - yes we have to be sure before we purchase but we don't have unlimited resources to expend before we purchase the expensive unit. Doing the travelling and time with instructors, let's face it you can't just take a rebreahter you are not qualified on for a test-dive or 10, you would spend much more than the cost of the unit.

I suggest do your homework,
- get to know the features and the track record of different rebreathers
- weed out the stories of rebreather accidents/incidents a to diver error, rebreather problems in
general, and rebreather unit problems
- find the support offered in your area by distributors/manufacturers
- what models if any are being dived in your area currently
- if you get the chance and have the money to spend on travel and rebreather courses on different models by all means do so.

Susan Copp
Ocean Quest Adventure Resort
Dive Store Manager

The advice given here is great advice for people with lots of time and money to travel all over the world in order to get 10-20 hours on many different models of rebreathers to see which is best suited for them. For those of us who live in a world where money is of concern -

I don't agree Susan. Antwerp is not the "rebreather" capital of the world but I could easily access the following rebreathers via friends and dive instructors I know: KISS, Inspiration (both Classic and Vision), Evolution, rEVO and Dolphin. I don't think our situation is exceptional. You just have to be creative, buy some beers, have friends with rebreathers or do paid trydives. Most instructors will refund you the money for a trydive if you buy a course/unit thru them.

I'm convinced that all the hands-on experience you get before having to buy a unit is extremely valuable. I think that too many people get stuck on a unit that they don't like, but they only found out after doing hours on the unit.

I would try as many as you can at demo. if you can go to as demo as you can. and if you see some dive one go up ask them what the pro and con are just my2cents

It's been an interesting thread. If I were choosing a rebreather I would go for a unit that a great # of people already have. There are reasons why certain units become, or remain popular- overall design, ease of breathing, modular components, cost and task specific adaptability.

You can certainly try as many as you can, but in the midst of trying so many units you may not necessarily be able to sort out the minutiae of personal preferences. In my case, I went for what fit my budget and came with the least amount of perceived restrictions. Not hard considering it was 10 years ago. Only players then were Cis-Lunar, Biomarine second hand units, Atlantis SCR and the Classic Inspiration.

If you become truly fascinated with this sector of diving you will probably own and flip several models during any time span. I have three sitting here right now. Can’t seem to ever dive them all. BTW – I have no problems recommending a Megalodon.

X

p.s. Additionally, the human user will adapt to the machine too. This means you will make modifications to diving style and to the machine.

If you can get access to Issue 25 of Advanced Diver Magazine, I wrote an article, "Transition to Rebreather Diving," about what I lived through as I researched, tested and decided whether to buy a rebreather, and selecting the make and model to purchase. The article also goes through the training you will undertake initially, and what you can expect. You might find this helpful.

If you can get access to Issue 25 of Advanced Diver Magazine, I wrote an article, "Transition to Rebreather Diving," about what I lived through as I researched, tested and decided whether to buy a rebreather, and selecting the make and model to purchase. The article also goes through the training you will undertake initially, and what you can expect. You might find this helpful.

ADM Online
or become a member and download in PDF
ADM Online
:D

ADM Online
or become a member and download in PDF
ADM Online
:D

ADM is my favorite dive magazine rite now, I highly recommend it to anyone interested in extended range diving.

and BTW, I'm told a new expanded and corrected version of my original article should be up soon. While I tried to make my original article brief, it ended up being a somewhat inconsistent comparison. I"m hoping the expanded version will be more helpful...though it's longer, well, a lot longer, which is why it's taking a while to figure out how best to post it.

Well, aren't you almighty! Must be all that Vegemite ... :D Thanks, well done.

Article looks good indeed, may just help some RB newbies with their gill envy.
So thanks again to the author, too. :clapping:

"staying mentally engaged on an automated process has its challenges"
is a great way to express complacency monitoring the pO2, love it. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom