A Couple of my big kills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waynel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
45 lb Cobia June 7, 2015 out of Grand Isle.JPG
65lb Amberjack 2014, Grand Isle.JPG

Sorry for posting three pictures of the Amberjack. I'm not real good with editing my posts. The first is a 45lb. Cobia (we call them Lemon Fish in Louisiana). Shot it very shallow, only about 70 ft. right below a rig. But we do all our hunting on the rigs off the Louisiana coast. The Copia was taken about 30 miles off the coast. The BIG fish, is a 65lb. Amberjack. I took him about 50 miles out in 135 ft. of water. Look right below the gill, hit a kill shot, right on the spine. And thank God for it. I was diving an AL tank and had very limited time. Hid behind a piling and watched two of these big jacks swimming closer and closer to me. But the thing with AJ's at that depth is that they have no fear. Besides a shark, they are the biggest dog in the yard. When they got to within 15ft. I let fly. Hit him and pulled my knife ready to cut the line. I wast at 900psi on that little tank (from waiting) and knew I couldn't inflate my BC to fight him and do proper safety stops. I don't know if there is a saint for hunters but I hit him right in the spine. Shivered twice and died. Dragged him up and pulled the gills to make sure of the kill. Did my safety stops and was totally out of air when I got on the boat.

Nice fish, especially the AJ. Never shot an AJ, just some smaller Pacific Crevalle Jack, and I know that if you don't get a kill shot those SOBs will pull you around like a rag doll. Thanks for sharing.

Nice fish. Cobia are hard to kill too. I've only stoned one. Usually shoot them twice.

You ate them?

Me and many of friends. I had to give away a lot of steaks. Won't keep in the freezer longer than 3 months before the start losing some of the taste.
Nice fish. Cobia are hard to kill too. I've only stoned one. Usually shoot them twice.

You're right. If you look at the Cobia picture, I hit him right in the gill. He dragged me a bit before he drowned.

nice photos and fish...thanks for sharing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom