A day in the life of a diabetic diver: the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society/DAN.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocVikingo

Rest in Peace
Reaction score
"Diving Hyperb Med. 2016 Sep;46(3):181-185.

A day in the life of a diabetic diver: the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society/Divers Alert Network protocol for diving with diabetes in action.

Johnson R1

Abstract

Some people with well-managed insulin-dependent diabetes can dive safely. Those cleared to participate should control tightly the variables that impact blood glucose levels, including activity, timing, food and insulin. Honest self-assessment is critical. A diabetic diver should cancel a dive if seasick, unusually anxious, or following significant high or low blood glucose levels in the preceding 24 hours. The diver should enter the water with a blood glucose level above 8.3 mmol·L⁻¹ and below 14 mmol·L⁻¹ with a stable or rising trend in blood glucose established with glucose tests at 90, 60, and 30 minutes prior to a dive. The diver should carry emergency glucose at all times and brief dive buddies about hypoglycaemia procedures. This is a personal account of the author's experience diving with type 1 diabetes and details how the UHMS/DAN recommendations are put into practice on dive days. Key elements of the self-assessment process, long- and rapid-acting insulin adjustments, meal timing, responses to blood glucose trends, handling hypoglycaemia and approaching multi-dive days are described. Some considerations for people using insulin pumps are also briefly discussed."

Regards,

DocVikingo

Although I don't understand the measurements used in the article, I am a more newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic (diagnosed in April 2016), I do exactly what is described here. I take oral hypoglycemic medication & am in very good control with diet & the medications. I check my glucose levels before & between each dive,... if I go below a specific limit, agreed upon between myself & my Dr, I have been instructed to consume a rather high carb snack, pre- dive, to, prevent a possible crash. Since I am excersizing, the spikes are usually minimal & I tend to actually stay quite steady in my levels. I also carry a couple of glucose gel packets in my drysuit pockets & inform my buddy of potential issues that could arise. I have never had to use them,... but better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it. The packets are not at all bulky & no problem to carry along.

8.3 millimoles per liter converts to about 150 mg/dl, which is the unit of measure used in the US. 14 millimoles per liter coverts to about 250 mg/dl.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom