A diffuser stole my power!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiggsy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello out there in SB world. I'm having problems with the Inon .5 stop diffuser on d180 strobe. I find that, if I use this diffuser it underexposes everything by about 4 stops (not .5) but only when I use the strobe on auto. On auto this diffuser cannot work properly with this strobe. If I return the strobe back to manual function full power is restored and I get perfectly exposed shots with very little loss of power (.5 stop if fairly difficult to pick). It is as if the auto sensor gets too much light fed back into it by refraction through the diffuser. There is a small hole in the diffuser to allow the sensor to function, but I think there must be a considerable light flow backlash that fools the sensor into shutting the strobe off prematurely. Anyone else experience this. Any comments..? I'm thinking of either drilling the hole out larger the avoid light backlash into it, or perhaps blacking out the edges of the whole. Any comments..?

Many thanks,

Alan Wiggs

Back
Top Bottom