A diver air lifted off the coast of Galveston, Texas by US Coast Guard on July 16, 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @Dan_T

Can you download your dives to a computer? You could get the average dive depth that way

Here is the last dive profile. I still have no clue on how to get the average dive depth from it.
16072017D4.jpg

this is pretty close to a "saturation dive", starting with no saturation. If this was dive # 3 or 4 or 5, one has to consider some "nitrogen" loading before the dive. So I am surprised that so few "accidents" happened during these years.

IMG_8879.PNG
I guess ^^ means deco not saturation. I think this dive is at the limits of NDL, probably the ones before just the same. I guess there's some chance of DCS when doing 5 similar dives per day.
This is an attempt to recreate your dive on iDeco. Likely not accurate, but maybe close.
IMG_8879.PNG

I pegged you at a sac of 0.45 cfm, pretty darn good!

Reactions: Dan
this is pretty close to a "saturation dive", starting with no saturation. If this was dive # 3 or 4 or 5, one has to consider some "nitrogen" loading before the dive. So I am surprised that so few "accidents" happened during these years.

We had minimum of 2 hours surface intervals. Mine were more like from 2hrs 15min to 2.5 hrs. The pool was open at 7:00 AM, 10:30 AM, 1:45 PM, 5:00 PM, and 9:00 PM. Before the night dive (which I elected to skip), the divers have closed to 3 hour surface interval. The diver who got bent had at least 9 hours (10 PM to 7 AM) of surface interval to the morning dive when he got bent. I remembered his dive time being shorter than mine (he descent after me & ascent before me). Do you think we were pushing the non-decompression diving limit?

This was my warmup dive trip before going to 12-day liveaboard diving in Indonesia (crossing from Ambon, passing through Banda Sea & Raja Ampat to Sorong). We'll be racking about 40 dives in the trip. I just want to make sure that we won't be in deep doo-doo in the middle of no where then.

Last edited:
Hi @Dan_T

I'm unfamiliar with Suunto and DM5. I dive an Oceanic computer and use OceanLog. It is not very sophisticated, but contains a fair amount of information. One screen is a a basic dive summary, this is where average depth can be found. The second screen contains a dive graphic and a table, where you can check the dive details for any sample point in the dive. Perhaps your downloaded log on DM5 has other screens containing this additional information.

upload_2017-7-19_11-3-23.png

upload_2017-7-19_11-3-50.png

If you have that much experience, you know that a two hours interval is not enough to clean your nitrogen load from your tissues. My only comment is and was that this is a procedure that increases the chances of getting a DCS hit. Nothing more, nothing less.

View attachment 418801 I guess ^^ means deco not saturation. I think this dive is at the limits of NDL, probably the ones before just the same. I guess there's some chance of DCS when doing 5 similar dives per day.
This is an attempt to recreate your dive on iDeco. Likely not accurate, but maybe close.
View attachment 418801
I pegged you at a sac of 0.45 cfm, pretty darn good!

Thanks for the evaluation. This dive profile would be my limit for future dives. I'd stick with 4 dives / day as the upper limit. I think diving in Raja Ampat are generally shallower than in Flower Garden.

Hi @Dan_T

I'm unfamiliar with Suunto and DM5. I dive an Oceanic computer and use OceanLog. It is not very sophisticated, but contains a fair amount of information. One screen is a a basic dive summary, this is where average depth can be found. The second screen contains a dive graphic and a table, where you can check the dive details for any sample point in the dive. Perhaps your downloaded log on DM5 has other screens containing this additional information.

View attachment 418815

View attachment 418816

I just played with DM5 for the first time last night. I'll do more playing with it later tonight. It looks like OceanLog looks more user friendly than the DM5. Thanks for sharing your screenshots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom