A Diver's Responsibility to his family....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never out live your money! But your responsibility is to do the best you can to keep yourself safe for yourself and those who love and care about you! If it is your job to go into burning buildings then do it within your training and leave unnecessary risk for the Rambo's! Training is the key! Whether Cave, Tech, or Open Water your are relatively safe until you go beyond your training! That oh Sh_t moment! Stop and think, you owe it to those who care!

The only responsibility that a diver has to his family is an adequate life insurance policy.

Make sure your family is covered then DO WHATEVER YOU WANT. Take up solo cave diving, set new depth records, whatever, as long as you pursue your dreams.

What is worse? Not LIVING or NOT LIVING?

So what is the price of a human life? Or how your kids deal with you being gone because you made a poor choice? Hummmmmmmmmmm??????:confused:

Well your 100% correct on the loss of a parent especially for young children. I look at my finances and I am worth more dead than alive. I did not plan it that way. SS the monthly survivor benefit is is much larger than I will ever see. About 20 years ago fresh out of school, I got talked into that Prudential "paid up" life insurance scam. It is paid up, but not a good investment. Work pays a large death benefit and there are also several small "free" life insurance for memberships.

My family-wife,son and daughter,keeps me sane while diving and ensure that i dive safely and well within the limits of my training at all times. They know how important and relaxing diving is to me and they always encourage me to dive more often and to do more courses to ensure i will cope well with most situations under water. My responsibilty to them is to return safely and well satisfied !!!!

The only responsibility that a diver has to his family is an adequate life insurance policy.

Make sure your family is covered then DO WHATEVER YOU WANT. Take up solo cave diving, set new depth records, whatever, as long as you pursue your dreams.

What is worse? Not LIVING or NOT LIVING?

Perhaps the most selfish thing I've ever seen or heard.

First, as has been said EVERYONE should have their affairs in order. A will, and possibly life insurance is an absolute. A dive plan with someone should be considered SOP for even a beginner. BUT
How much risky type of diving is appropriate for someone with a family and responsibilities is a great question.
If you are starting a family and you haven't "banked" a bit of savings, should you be making cave dives? deep wreck dives? maybe not......
Certainly there are LESS "risky" dives that can keep someone involved in diving without "pushing the envelope".
My wife has asked me to "limit" my solo cave excursions, which I do out of respect to her.
BUT since we don't have children and we have some financial security does that mean then that it's OK to "push the envelope" a little more than someone with children?????

I have enough life insurance to assure my wife will not have to work, and my son will be set through college.

My policy does not cover for private and small air crafts, so I don't take free ride in my sister's airplane, nor do I take tours on helicopters/small planes.

I think one should think of their family, before participating in risky ventures like diving. No, I don't think DAN insurance is enough to support your family.

Maybe it's that I'm old fashioned or maybe it's my particular choice of religion, but I feel strongly that a man has a responsibility to provide for his family as best he can. Doesn't mean he has to provide a mansion and a yacht, but he does have a responsibility to provide food, shelter, clothing, etc. I feel this should be taken into account regardless of whatever activities you're engaging in be that driving to work, walking down a street or scuba diving. I also believe your responsibility extends to when you're gone. Don't assume you'll be the last to go. Personally, I have insurance, investments and home equity that is more than sufficient to provide for my wife and my two daughters (17 and 20) if I were to die regardless of how.

With that said, I happen to also love my wife and daughters a great deal and want nothing more than to grow old enjoying their company. Therefore, while I enjoy active hobbies like scuba, running and hiking, I also do everything I can to do them safely. With regard to scuba that means using the appropriate equipment for the type of diving that I do, participating in the training required to dive safely and diving conservatively, well within my limits.

What I owe to my family is to be who I am. They all know that I'm not the type of person who sits around the house, does a little yard work and is content to watch the grass grow. I need challenges and I enjoy doing things that sedentary people just don't do. It's who I am, my family accepts that, and pretty much expects it from me.

My wife knows that I don't take unnecessary risks and she also knows that the risks that I do take are well mitigated by my training. In the event that Murphy ever gets the best of me- my wife and neices will be very very well off.

Be who you are, life is not a spectator sport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom