A FB friend posted his brother died today in Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why he dove this gas will likely never be known. I liked Carlos a lot... larger than life, and a real booster of the sport. He was very sure of himself, and in his relatively short diving career, he had done a ton of diving... and I don't mean banging off four a day in a quarry, or Bonaire. I mean more than a few cave dives, 250 foot mix dives here in the Great Lakes, and the Doria just a couple of weeks ago. He put in the time to take the training, and he opened his wallet to get the best gear. He absolutely loved diving AND divers, and would spend whatever time was necessary to help less experienced divers. His gear bag was open to everyone to borrow whatever they needed... Our local dive community suffered a significant hit with his passing.

Having said this, some of us that have been diving forever, expressed concern to one another that his confidence, (Some would say cockiness) might eventually end up with him finding himself in trouble. I want to choose my words very carefully, because he really was a good diver (in my limited experience diving with him) in spite of his relatively short period of time in the sport. His "online personality" could be seen as arrogant, but the real Carlos was genuinely a nice guy who would do anything for you.

Our concern is that his "proteges" who perhaps lacked his skill, dives, confidence, or wallet might too find themselves in over-their-heads, if you will please excuse the bad pun. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I think that there's a lot to be said for racking up hundreds of dives as one works up to these advanced technical certifications.. not a bunch of dozen.

I'm going to leave it at that, but will maybe finish by saying that confidence is no substitute for the basics like analyzing gas. We all know that, and if any good is to come of this, Carlos' tragic death will serve as a reminder that even the very skilled can have a very bad day. He'd be the first to agree, which makes this thing that much harder to understand.

I was going to post basically this. Having dove with the man before this was my exact impression. We had a little joke going in the club about a "Carlos Dive" which was 20 minutes down then back up and then down again as we observed diving with him on the Sligo (We assumed it was a training thing).

Like you said, he was a nice guy, but I too got the impression he was a bit of a cowboy.

We just got this bad news today and felt compelled to register just to post the following:

Carlos was a truly great guy, as evidenced by the universal reaction of stark sadness in our salon when we got the news this afternoon. He'd been getting his hair cut with us for years and all we can think of are his family and friends. Losing such a big, bright, personality is going to leave a significant hole in a lot of lives.

With Love and Remembrance,

Everyone at The House of Mann

We just got this bad news today and felt compelled to register just to post the following:

Carlos was a truly great guy, as evidenced by the universal reaction of stark sadness in our salon when we got the news this afternoon. He'd been getting his hair cut with us for years and all we can think of are his family and friends. Losing such a big, bright, personality is going to leave a significant hole in a lot of lives.

With Love and Remembrance,

Everyone at The House of Mann

I have to say.....it says a lot about a persons character and persona when even the place where he got his haircut heard of his passing, went out of their way to research the details, then register and post on a forum that isnt remotely close to their business or hobby.

I never met Carlos - but it seems he will be missed by many. I will say a prayer for his family.

Just a follow up... A collection was taken up in the local dive community for Carlos. The money raised was used to acquire a bench and memorial plaque, and it's now located at the Big Tub Lighthouse... One of Carlo's frequent haunts to dive. The residual proceeds went to his daughter...

I can't take credit for these photos, but the pointing was a really bad imitation of a frequent stance of his on the front of a dive boat, or point of land at a dive site. The image on the plaque was taken from a photo I took of him scootering at the Dufferin Wall earlier this summer.

The next time you're in Tobermory, plunk your butt on his bench and take a little time to reflect on the fragility of life.

Attachments

• Carlos bench.jpg
    Carlos bench.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 241
  • Carlos plaque.jpg
    Carlos plaque.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 212
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom