A FB friend posted his brother died today in Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carlos' stage bottles were all similar looking. Some marked with a 70, the rest marked as oxygen 20. Before his Doria trip, all of them were filled with 50% and 100% respective to the permanent markings on the bottles. They were then analyzed and marked with duct tape as that was the routine. The duct tape labels were always removed before filling and new ones made at analysis time.

He went on the Doria trip a few weeks ago. Conditions were rough, so the group didn't get all of the planned dives in. He brought home some full bottles and some not full bottles.

That much i can say with certainty. What I assume happened next is that he filled one or more of the low bottles with air, brought it home and placed it with the full o2 bottles. When packing to go to Florida, must have grabbed the wrong tank.

That is how I have pieced it together in my head. I could be wrong about the last part, but my guess is that there is an air bottle in his garage.

Carlos was a very close friend of mine. I met him 4 years ago, while on a charter in Tobermory. We got along immediately and have gone on many great adventures since then.

When I got news of the tragedy, i was shocked. The Carlos I know always checked and double checked his mixes. I would know, because i was usually with him while mixing. I am at a loss as to how he let this happen.

One way or another, Carlos was a kind, generous person who would drop everything to help anyone who ever asked. He was a huge promoter of the sport and always encouraged newer divers, without ever being judgemental.

To call someone an idiot is harsh and disrespectful. Family and friends often find their way into these threads. The last thing they need to see is the mud slinging that is going on. He made a mistake and paid with his life. He doesn't need to pay with his dignity.

I will always miss you and remember the good times.

Well said Graeme!

Carlos' stage bottles were all similar looking. Some marked with a 70, the rest marked as oxygen 20. Before his Doria trip, all of them were filled with 50% and 100% respective to the permanent markings on the bottles. They were then analyzed and marked with duct tape as that was the routine. The duct tape labels were always removed before filling and new ones made at analysis time.

He went on the Doria trip a few weeks ago. Conditions were rough, so the group didn't get all of the planned dives in. He brought home some full bottles and some not full bottles.

That much i can say with certainty. What I assume happened next is that he filled one or more of the low bottles with air, brought it home and placed it with the full o2 bottles. When packing to go to Florida, must have grabbed the wrong tank.

That is how I have pieced it together in my head. I could be wrong about the last part, but my guess is that there is an air bottle in his garage.

Carlos was a very close friend of mine. I met him 4 years ago, while on a charter in Tobermory. We got along immediately and have gone on many great adventures since then.

When I got news of the tragedy, i was shocked. The Carlos I know always checked and double checked his mixes. I would know, because i was usually with him while mixing. I am at a loss as to how he let this happen.

One way or another, Carlos was a kind, generous person who would drop everything to help anyone who ever asked. He was a huge promoter of the sport and always encouraged newer divers, without ever being judgemental.

To call someone an idiot is harsh and disrespectful. Family and friends often find their way into these threads. The last thing they need to see is the mud slinging that is going on. He made a mistake and paid with his life. He doesn't need to pay with his dignity.

I will always miss you and remember the good times.

I am very sorry for your loss. I have lost people to diving myself.

Thanks for the explanation, I now see how the accident could have originated. The scenario you describe of topping off an oxygen bottle makes sense (if you don't paint them ugly green or something). It does make more sense than any other reason.

I myself made a post not long ago about my own accident where I failed to check tanks (which were marked) and ended up diving a mix I did not intend (and was lucky that there were no consequences).

At the level of diving where you need a stage bottle for 200', multiple shallow deco bottles, etc, I think a diver should own and dedicate tanks for that purpose. I get the one off situation where you need to re-purpose a tank. But to make a habit of it? No.

At the level of diving where you need a stage bottle for 200', multiple shallow deco bottles, etc, I think a diver should own and dedicate tanks for that purpose. I get the one off situation where you need to re-purpose a tank. But to make a habit of it? No.

Who said anything about making a habit of it?

Perhaps I'll get to that point some day. For now, I find having a few dedicated/MOD labeled bottles and a few blank bottles more workable; it's not like one can trust to the dedicated labeling anyway. And an upside of having blank bottles is I'm I'm that much less likely to just assume it has 50% in it because it's labled with 70 on both sides and always has that mix in it.

Much thanks to those that knew Carlos for adding to the threads here and at other sites. It let some of us know more about him. Again, I am truly sorry for for your lost. I pray that the healing starts for those left behind and in the wake of his passing. I trust that a many of divers, both Tech and Rec. will take something positive from this. Carlos is still giving back to a spot that clearly he loved.

I have 5 stage bottles, all alu80's. None of them is permanently marked. But I have only 1 white one that is in 98% of the dives filled with an 80-100%, but still I always write a new label on it with the reall percent of oxygen after filling. When I need to refill I remove old labels and put new ones on it, with date, analysed gas, and mod.

Reactions: Jax
The Ontario Underwater Council has now completed its initial report on the incident. It will be soon be posted at: Ontario Underwater Council

---------- Post added August 13th, 2013 at 09:10 AM ----------

The Ontario Underwater Council has now completed its initial report on the incident. It will be soon be posted at: Ontario Underwater Council

The report has now been posted

It has? Can't see it in 2013 Reports yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom