A few Coz questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Tank 58

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I haven't been there for a couple of years do to battle with cancer. I'm sure a few things have changed they always seem to. I'm looking forward to relaxing and doing some diving & eating.
1 Whats the best way to get pesos, at an ATM or a bank, & should I use cash or a debit card?
2 Has their been many port closures the last couple weeks or has that situation settled down?
We are staying at Hotel Cozumel it's all inclusive, we've stayed there before. They have a wonderful breakfast and decent lunch and snacks but the evening meal leaves a lot to be desired. So we are planning to eat dinner in the restaurants, looking to break the bank, but want to experience the local culture & flavors so finally.
3 What is your favorite place to eat and what is your favorite item on the menu.
Thanks in advance for your input.

I haven't been there for a couple of years do to battle with cancer. I'm sure a few things have changed they always seem to. I'm looking forward to relaxing and doing some diving & eating.
1 Whats the best way to get pesos, at an ATM or a bank, & should I use cash or a debit card?
2 Has their been many port closures the last couple weeks or has that situation settled down?
We are staying at Hotel Cozumel it's all inclusive, we've stayed there before. They have a wonderful breakfast and decent lunch and snacks but the evening meal leaves a lot to be desired. So we are planning to eat dinner in the restaurants, looking to break the bank, but want to experience the local culture & flavors so finally.
3 What is your favorite place to eat and what is your favorite item on the menu.
Thanks in advance for your input.
1. Hey pesos at a bank ATM or major grocery stores using you debit. D Cline the first exchange rate they offer you.
2. Port was closed a couple of days just recently. About normal, I would say, for this time of year.
3. I like Kooben Laab. I often go with carbonara but they have great daily specials that I am more likely to order. Most stuff on the menu is around $100 pesos and it is more than I can eat. I bring my own container to bring leftovers back for lunch. Mostly home made pasta with great desserts.

It's not clear from your post If you are looking for up scale restaurants or budget eats.

If upscale, then La Cocay is very good. Also, Sorrisi, Guido's, El Muellecito, El Coctelito, Pancho's, Palomar, Rolandi's, Casa Mission, Bucanno's, Madera Azul (used to be Sal de Mar)

Less upscale, but more authentic:

El Moro, Conchita del caribe, La perlita, Casa Cuzamil, El Chino Marentes.

Be sure to check the restaurant's hours and days closed.

1. You do not need pesos.

2. It seems there has been due to el norte

3. Ernestos, Casa Del Mar restaurant, La Mission, La Choza. I’ve done 3 AIs in Cz, they all sucked food wise.

Many expect far better food than they pay for when looking at the AI Option which isn't that much more per day here than the B& B plan but it frees up a lot of extra hours per day vs going out for every meal. My wife & I prefer having the extra time and in general are eating a better variety of good (and some nights) to very good meals than we do at home. We both cook but for us this a vacation and we don't consider it a vacation if we need to shop for groceries to cook or clean up after making our meals.

thats what we like about hotel coz. the price for the all inclusive is cheap enough (at least for us canadians buying a package) that we don't feel guilty about eating some dinners in town. we really enjoyed guidos and have been to kondesa (more upscale) and los ostates (local joint) which i believe has had a name change. really cheap.

Its fine to tip in dollars or pesos when at hotel coz but when venturing out pesos are better. They used to exchange dollars for pesos at front desk if available but they set the exchange rate. Do not use the atm at the hotel. A few years ago it was around $7 dollar fee. Just stop by mega or chedraui when walking to town and grab some pesos. Enjoy. I used to stay there and you cant beat the price for what you get. Imho

You don’t “need” pesos only in the sense that you can pay for almost everything in dollars. But you will not get a good exchange rate and you will get any change back in pesos. I prefer to get pesos from an ATM, as MMM advised. Good exchange rate, relatively low fees, don’t have to travel with wads of cash.

For a nicer restaurant, I like Kinta. Interesting food, nice atmosphere, not cheap but a good value. Guido’s has a great atmosphere, but a lot of the food is only OK. I do like the flatbread and pizza. We used to like Del Sur, but it has been disappointing and we don’t go anymore. Los Otates, El Pique, and Pescaderia San Carlos are some local favorites. My wife found a newer place, called Benedicion, that was good. I’ve only been once.

Kondesa and Buccanos at Night are my favorite restaurants. Guidos and La Cocay are also great options. We like El Foco for Tacos, and Casa Mission is worth the trip. I used to really like Le Chef, but I don't like their new location as much. It doesn't have the great atmosphere of their other location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom