A few glove questions . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrVegas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Somewhat related to a thread a little bit below, but I thought I would separate it out.

I currently dive dry but with XS Dry-Five gloves (not dry gloves). Just curious if there is really any "upgrade" in warmth available without actually going to a dry glove system. For example, 4th Element stuff seems good generally, so I was wondering if their 5mm gloves would be much warmer than what I've already got, or if the XS Scuba\4th Element\Aqualung "Heat" are all really just variations on the same thing.

Alternatively, has anyone tried these: G-Dive Nordic Blue Drysuit Gloves with Wrist Seals and Liners

If so, how warm are the liners, do they equalize OK, etc.?

Just trying to see what the options are short of going to a ring system. (Diving down into low 40sF water.) Thanks for any suggestions.

Save your time, spare yourself the hassle, and maximize your comfort...switch to a ring system.

My suggestion is get the Rolock 90 system installed....there is a version that comes with the PU ring from the Si-Tech QCS oval system. Or buy the PU ring for the Si-Tech QCS oval system and glue/have it glued in to your sleeves and use the Waterproof Ultima DGS.

-Z

Yeah, you can buy the gloves for 8 bucks a pair and a bundle of wool liners really cheap.

Yeah, you can buy the gloves for 8 bucks a pair and a bundle of wool liners really cheap.

Where can one buy the gloves with the glued on seal for 8 bucks a pair? That would be a good deal for the gloves the OP has linked to.

The gloves in the OP's link look like they are a SHOWA/Atlas PVC type glove (model 660??? but customized with the latex seal). Without the addition of the seal they are about 8 bucks a pair:

Showa Atlas 660 Vinylove Gloves | eBay

-Z

Where can one buy the gloves with the glued on seal for 8 bucks a pair? That would be a good deal for the gloves the OP has linked to.-Z

I meant the gloves without the seals / with a ring system.

Still...one could buy the gloves and seals and glue them together for a lot less than 70 bucks plus shipping. The gloves don't last that long if you dive a lot.

I've been making my own Zip-Seals for ten, or so, years (see my avatar) for about 10 bucks a set.

The liners in the link are rubbish. However, merino wool gloves work perfectly as liners.
Personally I use the Nordic Blue Gloves with the Nordic Blue Ring System. I alternate between just wool gloves and a wool glove, wool hobo(fingerless) ekstra glove depending on the dive. (Longest and coldest I have done was a 3,5hr 300ft cavedive in 4C water. Still toasty warm)

Biggest advantage with wool gloves are that they do not lose their warmth retention ability whilst wet.

However... A few pointers to warm fingers:

a. EAT enough! (You'd be surprised how much this actually helps) If the water is cold, have a HOT meal (not spicy, you'll barf... but warm)
b. Keep your core warm! This means merino wool layers. Absolutely NO cotton. ANYwhere. Use a wool beanie on land. Use a thin merino neckliner if you have latex seals.
c. If you use a cuff/cuff seal, make sure you cut your cuffs so they are not too tight. The friction in the latex will keep the seal. Your hands should be comfortable with the liners under the cuffs. Again, you'd be surprised how loose your seals actually can be, and still stay sealed.
d. Use a properly thick hood.
e. EAT - more than you think...
f. Did I mention - NO cotton?

For the girls: Nordic blue gloves comes in sizes from XS - XXL There is NO reason to settle for crappy gloves.

Nordic Blue Rings: Kjøp Nordic Blue ringsystem fra FUE
Nordic Blue Gloves for Rings: Kjøp Nordic Blue - tørrhansker for ringsystem fra

(Never mind the norwegian prices, its madness, but kinda fits the general economy here...)

Dry 5's (and similar semi-dry gloves) are excellent. They have good dexterity and are far warmer than comparable high-quality thicker non-semidry gloves. Northern Diver Arctic Survivors are cheap and a little thinner than dry 5's and also excellent. Anything that seals like those gloves do will be far superior to anything that seals using a velcro cuff.

HOWEVER if you need warmer than dry 5's you should probably go to actual dry gloves. Anything made from thicker neoprene is going to sacrifice dexterity quite a bit.

Thanks for everyone's responses. Much appreciated! I sort of expected that dry gloves were probably the next step at some point, but was just wondering if there was a still one more "step up" in wet gloves from the XS Scuba Dry 5s. As I suspected, the answer is probably no, although the advice to try and keep the core warmer is also good.

Folks here are very helpful.

Thanks for everyone's responses. Much appreciated! I sort of expected that dry gloves were probably the next step at some point, but was just wondering if there was a still one more "step up" in wet gloves from the XS Scuba Dry 5s. As I suspected, the answer is probably no, although the advice to try and keep the core warmer is also good.

Folks here are very helpful.

I know people who use these or something similar. If you are looking for something in between the Dry 5 and a full-on dryglove system then typically a mitten will be warmer than a glove. The issues you face with this are that they are 7mm and fingers are combined together to aid warmth so dexterity will be negatively impacted. How warm your hands will be in these is a matter for you to personally determine:

bare-gloves-3-fingers-7-mm-mitt.jpg

Bare Gloves 3 Fingers 7 mm Mitt Zwart, Scubastore

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom