A few pics of a singles Hog rig for cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KOMPRESSOR:
Would it be correct of me to say that your rig is a warm water rig modified to be suitable (which I think it is!) for cold water?

Yes...You could say that about this particular rig. Really, the only things that have been added to make it "cold water friendly" are the Halcyon cam band trim pockets.

I do have other set ups that are cold water from the start, however. I would not consider these to be modified warm water rigs. For instance, a FredT 9 pound .188 SST plate paired with his 6 pound STA has a total base weight of 15 pounds and would not be suitable for warm water use...well not for me, anyways.

Does anyone have more pictures of a Hog Rig? On another note what is the difference between HOG and DIR?

cebudiver:
Does anyone have more pictures of a Hog Rig? On another note what is the difference between HOG and DIR?
Hogarthian refers to the basic gear configuration, which is also used by many non-DIR people. DIR takes the Hogarthian gear configuration, defines a few details a little more strictly, and combines it with a team-oriented philosophy that defines practices, drills, standards, procedures, etc.

For example, a diver can wear a Hog rig and do a deep solo cave dive on air, but that would not be DIR because solo diving is not DIR and diving air deep is not DIR.

KOMPRESSOR:
(Pardon me if my grammar isn't all that correct. English isn't my mother tounge!)
Your grammar is better than a lot of folks here who do have English as their mother tongue. . .

KOMPRESSOR:
If one turns it the other way arround, I think that my rig would be rather unsuitable for warm waters. My singletank alone weighs 45 lbs with air!!! And with a thin wet suit, you'd be on your way down, down, down if you loose your bcd!
Don't confuse above water weight with buoyancy weight. They are not the same. The most negative single tank out there is ~12-15 lbs negative in the water when full IIRC.

Stephen Ash:
Yes, those are weight pouches on the cam bands...Halcyon trim weight pouches. to be exact. http://www.halcyon.net/mc/weights.shtml

You can put up to three pounds in each. I use them when I want to get weight off my belt in situations where my weight requirement is relatively high. I keep four of them on one of my STAs to make things easy.

The Halcyon pouches are somewhat pricey but there are some less expensive ones available. Hmmm...Diverite and XS Scuba come to mind.

I saw the pics of the XS scuba models... When mounted on the strap does the velcro flap open up or to the side. Seems the sensible way would be to open up, so that the weight would have to be intentionally taken out.

mongoose:
I saw the pics of the XS scuba models... When mounted on the strap does the velcro flap open up or to the side. Seems the sensible way would be to open up, so that the weight would have to be intentionally taken out.

The Halcyon pouches open 'up'. They are very secure...velcro flap and fastex buckle. I can't imagine how they could accidently dump. I don't know about the others.

I'm looking at buying 2-4 of the XS weight pockets to put on my cam bands to help my trim. I don't understand why the Halcyon pockets cost $50 a pair when I think the XS pockets are like $9 each. Can someone enlighten me?

-Zak

Sure, because you have to pay for "H" logo.... And, there are a large patrionage at this board. Even, some members contend that their bolt and nut is better than any others... LOL~~~

It is unavoidabe that they offer an excellent customer service and the specialized items. But, it is also ture that some items are overpriced and they raised the equipment price in the market as ScubaPro does.

angryguy777:
I'm looking at buying 2-4 of the XS weight pockets to put on my cam bands to help my trim. I don't understand why the Halcyon pockets cost $50 a pair when I think the XS pockets are like $9 each. Can someone enlighten me?

-Zak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom