a few restaurant questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
How's this for focused questions:

1. On our two previous trips, we tried a variety of restaurants. So far, the one that appeals to us most is Los Otates. Wherever we travel in the world, it seems we like places that feel home-y and totally casual. We thought it was cool that they had a few specialties from the owner's home region of Guadalajara. And the pozole! We could have eaten there every day. The question is what other places have the same sort of vibe and food?

2. Ceviche and seafood cocktails. Where's best? We especially like anything with octopus or squid. In fact, to broaden the question, we'd be interested in restaurants with octopus or squid dishes of any type. If they fit the mold of Question 1, so much the better.

3. I have vague memories of a dozen years ago of a street known for its taco vendors. Where is that? Is it a lunchtime thing or a night thing?

That should keep us busy for a week. Thanks.

I really enjoyed las otates as well. I had octopus two different ways at Guidos on one night then went back and had one of the dishes again a few days later (first day it was a special entree, the second day it was an appetizer) I don't remember exactly what it was, but was amazing. All the food at Guidos was excellent.

I don't know about the octopus or squid, but one of my favorites for fresh seafood is Pescaderia San Carlos, a little locally owned seafood market/restaurant. It is NOT open for dinner - I think it closes up about 4:00 or 5:00 - it's a little hole-in-the-wall place off the beaten track, but a great place for lunch, and wonderful fresh seafood. I like going on Saturdays, when they serve a very good Sopa Mariscos, a seafood soup with lots of stuff in a very tasty fish broth. As to Ceviche, try La Perla, another little locally owned seafood restaurant, with a wide variety of ceviche on the menu. The lionfish ceviche is very good. My other local out-of-the-way favorite is El Moro. Definitely homey and casual, if not exactly laid back - it can get downright raucus late at night if a big crew from ScubaBoard invades, but the owner, Ray, is incredibly warm and friendly, and the food is very good (with a HUGE menu).

The grilled pulpo at Sky Reef is my favorite hands down.

I THINK Cielito Lindo has Octopus Ceviche - I know that it has a mixed ceviche appetizer, and IIRC, Octopus is part of that. And lots of other excellent food as well.

I THINK Cielito Lindo has Octopus Ceviche - I know that it has a mixed ceviche appetizer, and IIRC, Octopus is part of that. And lots of other excellent food as well.
We first had the octopus cerviche as part of the trio at Cielito Lindo. Next visit asked for just the octopus. No problem. Eric and I both thought it was excellent.

Great replies so far! Thanks.

Yeah, when I said La Perla, I meant La Perlita - guess I got in too big a hurry. BTW, a couple of the reviews for La Perlita on Yelp specifically mention the Octopus Ceviche as a favorite dish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom