A Few trips with Silent World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did a three day, six dive package with Silent World last November. Like Vondo, I found the reception at the shop to be on the cool side. Not rude, just not overly enthusiastic or chatty. We signed our paperwork, got our weights, etc. the day before the first dive. We stayed in Tavernier, so we had a little bit of a drive to the boat, but it was a cakewalk compared to the drive I have to make from my house to the NC coast!

The first two dives, there were just four of us on the boat, we never had more than eight. Both of the Captains we had over the three days were friendly and offered site specific information during their dive briefs, but other than that left us to our own devices. Being that my only other ocean dive experiences are off NC, I didn't think anything of it.

One thing I liked about SW boat situation is that you can park your car within a few yards of the boat. They are also closer (as has been mentioned) to some of the more northern dive locations.

I might not dive SW on my next trip, but only because I want to try some of the other ops. We dove with Sea Dwellers last month. I'll probably try Conch Republic next time, just because it gets such good reviews on SB. But, I would not hesitate to recommend Silent World to a friend, and plan to dive with them again sometime.

Hello All. I joined SB specifically to respond to this post.
Cool, because we really appreciate someone dumping one or two "hater" posts and then going away again instead of, you know, actually contributing... In fact, we like that so much there is actually a term coined for just such occasions. :no

John_B Quote:
Originally Posted by pmlee
Hello All. I joined SB specifically to respond to this post.

Cool, because we really appreciate someone dumping one or two "hater" posts and then going away again instead of, you know, actually contributing... In fact, we like that so much there is actually a term coined for just such occasions.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, and assuming that I will only post "hater" comments. For that matter that I will go away; maybe I will, maybe I won't. Maybe it's my bad for assuming that I am permitted to post my less than pleasant experiences with Silent World. They are a first hand experience that happens to differ from the majority of posters in this thread.

Please also feel free to correct me if I am wrong...that the thread starter also stated they would not dive with Silent World again, am I so wrong???? Actually, are we really so different?

I am confident that I could possibly use and love an operator that you may dislike as well.....

I apologize in advance for any I may offend with my thought processes.

Actually, are we really so different?
The OP shows up on his fifth post unhappy that the best priced dive op doesn't completely pamper him by setting up his gear, switching his tanks, putting a guide in the water, etc. when nobody else would do that? It makes no sense.

Then you show up on your first post with a story about a misunderstanding that should've been followed up on (nobody pays a private charter rate and then lets three other divers on board without a price adjustment) and a story about a long lost mask?

You'll forgive me if I'm skeptical, the internet is positively lousy with trolls and sock puppets. If you had been around a while you'd know that SB sees its share.

Honestly, I hope you both stick around and contribute to SB, but from what I've seen -- both here and on other boards -- the odds are stacked against it.

John_B Quote:
Originally Posted by pmlee
Actually, are we really so different?

The OP shows up on his fifth post unhappy that the best priced dive op doesn't completely pamper him by setting up his gear, switching his tanks, putting a guide in the water, etc. when nobody else would do that? It makes no sense.

Then you show up on your first post with a story about a misunderstanding that should've been followed up on (nobody pays a private charter rate and then lets three other divers on board without a price adjustment) and a story about a long lost mask?

You'll forgive me if I'm skeptical, the internet is positively lousy with trolls and sock puppets. If you had been around a while you'd know that SB sees its share.

Honestly, I hope you both stick around and contribute to SB, but from what I've seen -- both here and on other boards -- the odds are stacked against it.

Let me see if I understand you correctly....My personal motivation for joining has offended you? The fact that my first post is my own personal experience/s with Silent World are inferior and the fact that I publicly voiced that I am not a fan of Silent World has also offended you? To the point of passing judgment and/or calling names.

Does the number of postings validate an opinion or expereince?

I had no misunderstanding with Silent World. The people I dove with in June came back last weekend and I stated that "I am really glad we are not diving with Silent World again, I didn't like paying $90.00+ for a dive, even if it was a private charter. Especially when I have my own gear/tanks." This sparked our conversation that it was not a private charter. My mistake was that I did not say something to my companions in June. I have written that money off to a learning experience. But it does not make my experience any less valid.

The mask? Well there is an aweful lot of back and forth between dock and shop and people even. My opinion is that this could have been handled differently. Maybe not better, but differently and the cutting someone off mid-sentence is just not appropriate. Again, that is my opinion and you certainly do not have to agreee with me.

Best priced dive shop-Silent World? Not for me it's not. For others I am confident it is.

Please, feel free to be skeptical. If we were all alike the world would be a boring place without any stimulation.

Does the number of postings validate an opinion or expereince?
You really take this that personal, huh? Let me make this as clear as I can: I don't care who you choose to dive with. I'm sorry you had a misunderstanding with a dive op. It happens. There.

Now stepping away from the dive op discussion for a second... Nobody said your experience wasn't valid. Your lack of posting shows that you are new and that means we don't know anything about you except the one dive op you happen to dislike. If you were someone who had been around this community (I hate that word but it applies here) for a while and then posted about a bad experience then that might be different. Right now you are a new poster and the the sum total we know about you is that all your posts are b!tching about not being a happy person as it applies to one charter. Frankly its a common behavior you see on the internet from trolls and especially sock puppets*. Are you, or aren't you? We can't really tell at this point because all four of your posts (as of right now) are in this one thread.

That, and (back on topic) it flies in the face of most everyone else's experience.

We'll take you more seriously if you participate in a meaningful/helpful/fun/opinionated/clever way with the rest of SB. It happens to be pretty good advice for internet forums in general, really.

* Wikipedia.org links provided in case you aren't familiar with those terms.

There are some dive shops that I would not step into here in the Keys but Silent World is NOT one of them. They have a GREAT staff and they do care about their customers and try to make there trips the best they can be. I also let my kids go out on there boat and I trust the staff when my boys in the water snorkling when I am down diving. I have been out on there boat many times and love the way they take care of people.
icon_idea.gif
If you need or feel you need someone to dive with you they will be more than happy to put someone in the water with you.
BUT you must first tell someone... they are a dive shop and they cannot read your mind so speak up people and tell them what you need or want.
Don't blast a dive shop just because YOU DIDN'T SPEAK UP!!!!

I will always dive with Silent World
icon14.gif

Becky

I had a mixed experience with them...

I didnt actually use their charter however their shop was directly across the street from a house that i rented on adams cut. After my first stop in for some air fills and a couple visual inspections I swore I was never spending a cent there again. I was treated rudely by one of their employees (an older gentleman if you would call him that) and felt slighted. It wasnt just me either I was with a friend of mine and upon exiting we looked at each other and quickly agreed at what a horrible shop it was! I specifically didn't get into the specifics because several months have passed and the details are kind of foggy but how simple should some air and visual inspections be?

Upon return to pick up the tanks I had visual inspections on, I had a completly different experience with a different employee that was actually extremely personable and helpfull. I am torn on whether I would go back because there are so many shops within such a close radius and I am only there a few days out of the year...

The point is it only takes one bad experience to ruin someones perception of a shop regardless of the good. Especially in a place as competitive as key largo for the diving communities business.

LOL...

Ok I have to laugh at this thread for several reasons but I think the best one is the thought that tickled my brain of "cool British reception"... those of you that knew the previous owners Rick and Janet will know what I mean if one were to compare Chris and Rick... rofl

I've only had one bad experience ever with Silent World and it was simply one of those things that happens from time to time when you do repeat business over many many years with the same company. Sometimes stuff happens. Weather, broken GPS, frazzled Captain, 8 ft white caps, water spout, 2 knot current on the Speigel Grove... but you know what? Everyone came back safe, with a story to tell... and... even the worst day diving is still better than being at work. :D

What annoys me about Silent World is they don't offer warm towels after each dive. Can you imagine?

I've used 4 different shops over the years in the Keys. I keep coming back to Silent World. Are they the best? Depends on your definition. For what I like, they are number one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom