A Fin Review: SP Jet Fins VS Force Fins VS blade (normal) fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can someone tell me if the $786 fins are worth it? That's 1/2 the cost of my entire rig. New. But if they got rid of my foot cramps, maybe worth it.....

Can someone tell me if the $786 fins are worth it? That's 1/2 the cost of my entire rig. New. But if they got rid of my foot cramps, maybe worth it.....

That's for a top line model.
The pair I tried was the pro model, second line from the base model which run about $189.

The higher priced models were designed to address specific issues. I would check their website first and look at all the models to see which one suits you.
You could also shoot them a message via the Contact Us link on their website.
And they don't get rid of foot cramps, if your toes are really pointed you can still get them (I sorta nearly got one when I was treading water using bad treading/kicking techniques). They help with your calfs though, definitely.
Force Fin.com

To try and answer a couple of questions:

They will be making them inYellow - first pair are MINE!

I have a pair of Tan Delta Excellerating FFs ($700+ list) - bought used and they are fantastic. Not sure they are worth list price but there is a learning curve to maximizing their performance and the do not do all kicks great (not the greatest for frog kicks - good but not great).

To the original OP - Bob is pretty liberal about loaniing fins for evaluation. If he reads your review, he might want to get your opinion. Contact him on the FF Forum, let him read this thread and see what happens.

I just may do that TN Traveler
Thanks =]

Nice review! I do own 2 pair of fins in your review(force fin pro and jet fins). I had pick up a used pair of force fin in a camping store a few year back for a whopping $25 dollars. It was the best buy i had purchased to this day. I would not have considered purchasing this fin brand new due to its high price. The Force fin is the best fin for travel due to it light weight and low profile compared to a Jet fin. Don't get me wrong I still love my 20 year old SP Jet Fins. They have taken a beating and more and is still going strong. The only thing I did not like about the force fin is the nylon fin strap. It was difficult to adjust or remove the strap, therefore i made stainless steel straps for them(thanks floater for posting info on this). You can't go wrong with either fin.

The cost (new) is what bugs me as well. I really don't think the cost of manufacture is that much more than other fins. I wonder if they were price more competively, more people buy them (higher volumn), the overall profit maybe the same. Or maybe the owner is trying to make FF an more exclusive product.

I don't usually buy any of my gear new. I have some Jets, Mares Volos and recently picked up a pair of Force Fin Pro's off Ebay for $56. Like the OP says, there's a learning curve, but for basic OW dives the Force Fins are awesome. If I were doing photography or something where I needed the control offered by Jets I'd use those. They're just different tools. I will say that if I am several dives in a day, the Force Fins are what I go to, because I am so much less tired. There's no way I could afford them new, but they can always be found used. I've just gotten certified this summer, so I offer this as my $.02 from using all 3, not as any kind of expert.

I have the force fin pros and a new pair of jets recently and I agree the force fins are very light and easy to kick but you end up kicking really hard to get getting, where as the jets its very slow, heavy quarter kicks.

Back
Top Bottom