A flag that is less of a drag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquacat8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Florida beaches and I have to drag a flag, and boy does it suck! (Full disclosure: today I did find a weight pocket with 4lbs of lead and tied it off to my flag so that made it suck worse, but hey free lead!) I have a standard dive flag with the big styrofoam ball and the lead weight underneath on a pole, and a big weird yellow line wrap thing I sometimes put my arm through but then that likes to get hooked up on my mask. I feel like it might be in entanglement hazard and since I’m breath hold diving that is significant.

I don’t like dragging the thing and I was wondering if the inflatable flags are easier to tow or if anybody has any tips about making this process more enjoyable? I was thinking for example of sand anchoring it in the general area I am snorkeling . First two times I went out I didn’t have it and I had so much more fun!

But it became apparent that there was indeed boat traffic so I need it. Also I figured out to clip a water bottle to it, and that’s really key when you’re out freediving for hours, and I’m sure that added a little drag too. And since I keep finding trash, I may have to put a goodie bag on there too. Sometimes I miss my old abalone float. By the way does anyone know what the fine is for going without? What are your thoughts on floats and flags?

The mainstream flags are easy to drag. many of us use a reel rather than line on a polypro line holder

Yep Tbone is onto it, a hard torpedo shaped float is way better.
I've never seen one of these used in Boynton Beach, West Palm, or Jupiter. they would be a hassle to store on the boat.

Talk to someone who actually dives in SE Florida

Maybe for shore diving this would be OK

I've never seen one of these used in Boynton Beach, West Palm, or Jupiter. they would be a hassle to store on the boat.

Talk to someone who actually dives in SE Florida

Maybe for shore diving this would be OK

if you're on a boat the boat has the dive flag so you don't need to tow one around so long as you stay within 100ft when in rivers and channels, or 300ft when pretty much everywhere else.

if you're on a boat the boat has the dive flag so you don't need to tow one around so long as you stay within 100ft when in rivers and channels, or 300ft when pretty much everywhere else.
Sorry, you are ignorant regarding drift dives in SE Florida. You are not near your boat that dropped you live over the reef. There are many groups who are quite spread out over the reef. In Boynton Beach, just as an example, some groups are dropped on the outside, east side of the reef, whereas, others are dropped on the inside, west side of the reef. Groups often end up quite far apart at the end of the dive. Every group or solo diver carries their own flag.

upload_2018-7-30_7-53-44.png
This is what we use for shore diving (mainly in a river so handles current very well), would be equally as good for tow behind boat diving. When boat diving in SE qld flag stays on the boat.
Takes up hardly any room, much more robust than an inflatable float. Have used it freediving/spearfishing and equally as good.

Thanks guys... that Mako float looks good, I could even rest/breathe up on it, I will put it on my toys wanted list, and towing with a reel sounds better than the polypro line holder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom