A friend gave me some old publications he kept from childhood..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THANKS Doc. I really appreciate your stories and reliving the past. If it were not for the diving pioneers, the "divers" of today would have be. As one ages, remembering the way it was helps to understand today a bit. And yes, your notes and tidbits, make this forum worth reading.
Allan

Allan,
I certainly appreciate you remarks...
Yes the history and those who made the history will soon be covered with dust and forgotten and the revisionist with I think, I suppose, I was told , will emerge with much altered versions of the people and events that shaped diving history.

Just this morning I made a rather lengthy post to "Best bcd for 11 year old son." In the post I some what waxed the post with nostalgia about my son, Dr. Sam IV entry into diving which began at age 2 or so sucking on a mouth piece attached via a long to SCUBA unit on the floor . Now I question how many would understand or even believe the post

@Marie13 preserving the history of diving is your diving generations hands -

I wonder where @boulderjohn is ? He always has good and great comments

SDM

@boulderjohn,

I consider you one I would like as a next door neighbor - you are extremely intelligent and some what knowledgeable about diving. As a bonus my wife is an ex college president - What a combination! . I am certain we would both enjoy long chats with you --as well as son Sam IV, the local hyperbaric doctor

I was appalled while visiting the Blue Hole 2 summers ago and chatting with a Supper Duper PADI master instructor trainer etc etc. He stated that there was no diving or instruction prior to PADI.

We had a long educational chat about diving and instructional history - But I suspect he is still brain washed

I sincerely hope this post has opened your eyes about things that happened a long time ago, called diving history.

As always I always enjoy your post-- always informative and thought provoking

Cheers from a very foggy hill over looking the blue pacific

Sam Miller,111

We had a long educational chat about diving and instructional history - But I suspect he is still brain washed

I sincerely hope this post has opened your eyes about things that happened a long time ago, called diving history.
I don't think the person was brainwashed, because that implies someone was intentionally misleading him. PADI makes no claims about starting scuba instruction, so I wonder who would have done the brainwashing. As for me, I do not have your encyclopedic knowledge of diving history by any stretch of the imagination, but I am not wholly ignorant, either. I try to keep myself informed through listening and reading, and I do try to keep from spreading ignorance on ScubaBoard by avoiding writing about things that I do not know for sure. I sometimes fail, but I do try.

[QUOTE="boulderjohn, post: 8073244, member: 32540"

]I don't think the person was brainwashed, because that implies someone was intentionally misleading him. PADI makes
no claims about starting scuba instruction, so I wonder who would have done the brainwashing.

<<< Brainwashing,to recall history was a product of the Korean war. POWs were repeatedly lectured on communism, during repatriation several US servicemen had been brainwashed and decided to remain in North Korea rather than to return to US.

I certainly donor know were the young super hero instructor was from or who was involved in his training. I do recall him emphatically stating that "There was not diving or diving instruction prior to PADI"

So what is the proper word ? uninformed ? Uneducated ? Ignorant or Brainwashed? I prefer the latter designation >>>
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

As for me, I do not have your encyclopedic knowledge of diving history by any stretch of the imagination, but I am not wholly ignorant, either. I try to keep myself informed through listening and reading, and I do try to keep from spreading ignorance on ScubaBoard by avoiding writing about things that I do not know for sure. I sometimes fail, but I do try.[/QUOTE]

<<< John, very few have my "encyclopedic knowledge of diving history." I lived and in some instances made dive history therefore I have no need to study diving history but I do fell compelled to correct diving history and preserve it but preserve dive history correctly now and for the future (what a profound statement)

You have possibly one of the highest IQs on this board and are certainly not "wholly ignorant," perhaps uninformed on occasion but those occasions are very few and certainly minor in nature.

I strongly suspect that after reading this thread about early dive publications and their history that your dive history knowledge has been expanded a wee bit..

The offer is still open to become a next door neighbor -- in a few short months you will be covered with snow I will be concerned about needing to wear long pants

Cheers from California on a hill top over looking the blue Pacific >>>

SAM

SAM

"Sam Miller IIl
At #4 Harry is the oldest living NAUI instructor
At # 27 I am the oldest living NAUI instructor in Kalifornia"
SDM
I read your quote " At # 27 I am the oldest living NAUI instructor in Kalifornia", several times and something didn't ring true.

So, I dug out my handy dandy ( personly signed both authors ) " Scuba America The Human History of Sport Diving " by Al Tillman and Zale Parry.

Your name is not listed there. Number 27 was a diver by the name of Luther Swift from Houston, Tx.

Divers who completed the course are on pages 88 to 92, are the names of all who passed.
I'm sure Al Tillman would have have listed your name in that first class of Aug. 26, 1960.

Harry Vetter taught diving equipment at that first class of NAUI.

When Sam speaks...................................thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom