A Galapagos Dilemma...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As drrich2 pointed out, yes, I did get some sea sick. It was much worse on the pangas (inflatable Zodiacs) than on the live aboard, but here were times we were going through 10- 12 ft (3- 4 m) seas. I really don't like to use the patches because the tend to knock me on my butt, but a friend on the trip who was is a nurse suggested for me to only use 1/2 a patch. I tried it & it worked like a charm. I was not sea sick, yet I also wasn't loopy...... OK,... no more loopier than usual :D. SInce everyone is an individual, its hard to say what will work for you. As was suggested, try a short live aboard & see what you might be able to find.

Ditto on trying the short live aboard - I dove Galapagos in Dec and was sick every night - Wolf and Darwin were a killer - the "ride over" is rough - I had the patch, I had the patch in pill form, I had meclazine, I had ginger and I used the pressure bracelets - nothing worked for me. I missed most dinners - but the diving is well worth it. The patches bother Tammy - (Tstormdiver) but they don't phase me at all - every one is different - the trip is very pricey - I would try to find something you think will work for you before I hopped on that boat! Good luck!

"Land based" diving in galapagos has lots to offer, too...but if you can afford it and are a comfortable (and skilled) diver in cold water/currents and can handle the seasickness anyway possible, then I´d say that a live aboard is the way to go! Some people even do a live aboard for a week, and then stay on the islands for a while...obviously, time and $ considering!

Does Anyone have experience wit the different live aboards in Galapagos? We are going in February 2011 and think the Humboldt Explorere is less expensive and new But the Aggressor has openings. Any one have an opinion?

We are traveling to the Galapagos in Feb 2011 and not sure which of The big three live aboards to choose. We have looked at all three and understand that the Humboldt Explorer is new and managed by Ecuadoreans. Does anyone have an opinion if it is worth a bit more to go with the Agressors

I was on the Deep Blue liveaboard in June of this year....it was a first class operation all the way. I would also check their availability.

We are traveling to the Galapagos in Feb 2011 and not sure which of The big three live aboards to choose. We have looked at all three and understand that the Humboldt Explorer is new and managed by Ecuadoreans. Does anyone have an opinion if it is worth a bit more to go with the Agressors

I was on the Aggressor I in September and would recommend it highly. I believe all captains/staff on the boats must be from Ecuador. tstormdiver just returned from a trip the same week on the Humbolt. Her trip report is Here

There might not be too much info out there (or trip reports) yet about the Humboltd...It just started cruising a few months ago. Most of the live aboards to basically the same itinerary, and have all received good comments on here. Best bet to pick your dates and see what´s available, and which companies provide prompt and accurate responses to your request. All of them have lots of wonderful things to offer. Have fun!

I was on the Humboldt Explorer in Aug./ Sept. It was overall a very good experience, with a few inconveniences. I would say the biggest was that only the dive masters spoke English, the rest of the crew did not, so that made communication interesting at times. The HE is brand new (construction finished in June of this year). When we went there were still a few bugs to be worked out in the operations, but overall was good. Here is my report on it: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/kentucky-piranha-patrol/351732-im-baaaaack-galapagos.html . Here is a video of our adventures: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Od0P90xQdQ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom