A GoPro Voyage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My third attempt at a GoPro video follows. I think I've made some progress from my second video but there remains issues with lighting, exposure and colour adjustments and would welcome pointers on how to improve.

I've adjusted my third video for exposure and colour. I'd very much welcome advice on how to tackle such corrections.

thanks for positing....some questions for you

1. are you using a red correction filter when you are below 10-15 meters?
2. How many lumens is your light?
3. check out Backscatter.com for some video and tips regarding settings. I have found to leave the settings at factory and with a red filter and a 3800 lumen light my gopro 5 worked great. The camera cannot compensate for low viz conditions and far away objects.

thanks for positing....some questions for you

1. are you using a red correction filter when you are below 10-15 meters?
2. How many lumens is your light?
3. check out Backscatter.com for some video and tips regarding settings. I have found to leave the settings at factory and with a red filter and a 3800 lumen light my gopro 5 worked great. The camera cannot compensate for low viz conditions and far away objects.

1. I experimented with both lights and a Backscatter red filter. The night dive on Megafauna Migration was videoed with a red filter and video lights. The Backscatter red filter broke half way through the videoing of Megafauna Migration. If I recall correctly, from the whale shark onward I was no longer using a red filter. Instead, I was adding red back in my video editor.

2. I was using 2 x Big Blue AL1200WP which is a maximum of 1200 lumens each. But I was mainly using the lights at the lowest output setting. For my taste, the GoPro6 tends towards overexposure so I reduce (correct) exposure in my video editor. For example, I used video lights to videoed a turtle during an afternoon dive in a rainstorm. I felt that the turtle which appears at 6:30 on Megafauna Migration was overexposed so I reduce the exposure in my video editor for the Colour Corrected Megafauna Migration. I felt that the beam of the AL1200WP was too narrow. You can see this in the photo of me at 3:23 of Megafauna Migration.

3. Pelagic Magic and Megafauna Migration were made in May this year during the Maldives rainy season so viz was not good and the camera cannot compensate for this.

Thanks for posting the videos. I just bought GoOro Hero 6 Black and learning how to use it. Any tips on the preference setting that you can provide for underwater filming will be much appreciated.

Very nice, but as you can see for macros, the GoPro is not ideal....church music either :)

I don’t need to film macros. I take still pictures for that.

Here is my camera setup with old GoPro Hero 3. Now I’ll retire the Hero 3 & replace it with Hero 6.

From previous experience with Hero 3, I don’t use red filter anymore & just use wide angle & very bright video light (5000 lumens) Weefine Solar Flare 5000.

9D0B8617-D968-49F2-9A4D-803764E94039.jpeg

Here are a couple videos with Hero 3 & the 5000 lumens Weefine video light without red filter at 90’ depth.

Last edited:
I’m thinking of starting with these settings:
RES 2.7K, FPS 24, FOV LINR and enable Protune with the setting as shown below.

3011FA81-1194-4867-8AED-45342E12B3C4.jpeg

After watching Reha Alev YouTube, below

However, I’m not sure if those settings are best for filming underwater scene. What’s yours?

Last edited:
Current setting:
Shutter: auto
EV comp: 0
ISO min: 100
ISO max: 1600
WB: auto
Sharp: low
Color: flat
Audio: off

Video stabilisation: on
Auto low light: off