A housing for my lovely old SONY (NEX-5R)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seascaper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Cheeky rekindling of an ancient thread as i'm coming back to decision-making crunch-time.

I need a monitoring & website snaps camera for work. I'm currently on a wee workhorse Linux "Tough" (Panasonic) and it's fine for the price, but I don't trust it beyond ~20' and a few minutes in/underwater, plus the photos aren't as bright as i need once we get beyond a couple of metres. Note: I've never had any sort of flooding issue (touch wood).

There are a couple of housings for the NEX-5R on Amazon at around the $100-$180 range and, considering that this camera is getting onto 6 or 8 years on but still takes great snaps, I'm wondering if housing it is a better-bet than just springing for a new Olympus TG-4/5 at ~$400.

If so, what's the housing that would be suggested, incl. the 18-55 lens.

Considerations are same as before: generally functional & good sit at 30-50' for a work-day, so maybe 2hrs at a time, plus visits down >100+ would also be good.
The Olympus would likely require a housing for longer/deeper days anyways.

Thanks and best regards,

Andrew

Eachshot is just a sticker on top of Meikon, yes. Keep in mind that Meikon has two versions of the NEX-5R/5T housing - one with rectangular port for 18-55mm lens and another with round port for 16-50mm lens. You can get the housing direct from Meikon, through Amazon, or through Aliexpress, which is probably the cheapest option.

Regarding NEX-5R vs TG-4/5 - I strongly doubt a 1/2.3" sensor is going to outperform an APS-C one, and since you'd need to put it in a housing anyway, the waterproof construction is largely irrelevant.

A vital point re. lenses, Barmaglot, thanks thanks thanks.
Is there any reason to choose the Meikon over the Eachshot, then? Likely a numbscull question, but just to clarify :)
It's unfortunate that the one that I'll need is the ugly/bulky one, but so it goes. We'll fashion a screw-on lead base to mitigate the buoyancy.
I'll check Aliexpress, thanks. The Amazon sellers seem to not be able to make my travelling timelines anyways.
Best,
Andrew

When I ordered my A6xxx housing through Aliexpress, it actually came direct from Meikon in Hong Kong via DHL - only took a few days to ship to Israel.

I don't see a reason to choose either badge over the other - just get the one with the most convenient price and shipping arrangements.

Regarding buoyancy - a tray with handles will cost you more than a chunk of lead, but it will be a great deal more convenient in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom